Charges brought against posters of 'Venables' and 'Thompson' images.

Do you not think their grief will be easier to bear if they know the perpetrator is behind bars and not walking the streets and enjoying life?

I'm sure many relatives will find a degree of solace in the idea that the offender is serving time.

That isn't however any argument for making sentences last the full term of someones life, nor is it any argument for making prison regimes harsher.

The analogy was there. Do you think it was easy to be confined as a CHILD? work 12 hours a day in a sweat shop and fed gruel? Probably beaten daily if not sexually abused by your overseers? Victorian penal punishment was most likely VERY difficult..yet they went back for more..= harsh punishment it seems didn't work. Yet you advocate an equivalent.

Do you have any records which show what the reoffending rate was?

Tragically, as I'm sure you know we can't resurrect the dead. Their family will bear a burden of grief that will stay with them.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 18:42 ----------

Do you genuinely not realise how illogical and silly you sound saying that?

Accepting the truth that you can't bring the dead back to life doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about killing people. Bizarre.

Read other posts before replying halibut, you don't even know what your replying to :roll: bizarre

I'm sure many relatives will find a degree of solace in the idea that the offender is serving time.

That isn't however any argument for making sentences last the full term of someones life, nor is it any argument for making prison regimes harsher.

Why not? It seams reasonable to me that if someone takes a life they should lose their life whether that be through execution or life in prison.

The analogy was there. Do you think it was easy to be confined as a CHILD? work 12 hours a day in a sweat shop and fed gruel? Probably beaten daily if not sexually abused by your overseers? Victorian penal punishment was most likely VERY difficult..yet they went back for more..= harsh punishment it seems didn't work. Yet you advocate an equivalent.

Why can you not answer questions instead of trying to change the subject ?, is it because you have no answers perhaps ? Or read the papers too much like cyclone

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 18:49 ----------

Yes so someone takes the rest of my life but the murderer gets 10 years then a new life, I'm sure many people find solace in that,

To quote you halibut, what a utterly pointless post, bizarre :loopy:

Well it isn't surprising considering it's mostly rambling.

You seem to be of the opinion that no one is concerned because they isn't as emotionally concerned as like what I am.

:hihi: nothing else needs saying,

It's not rambling you just haven't got an answer or any rational/common sense to bring into this debate, instead you just pick points in posts to try and belittle people. That is all you pretty much do

No like I said a chain gang, and less tvs and gyms, maybe even should have to work for their meals each day, IMO they gave up their human rights when they decided to commit the crime !

They give up certain rights, but certainly not all human rights.

I watch the news and live my life I suppose, when you go outside and talk to people and not just sit In front of your computer trying to belittle people each day you learn things :)

Where do you think the people you talk to get their information from, news papers maybe?

Has disagreeing with you been reclassified from trolling to belittling now? Are you the only one who's allowed an opinion?

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 19:02 ----------

No because I said harder sentences didn't I, now scuttle off and hide again

Given that the article you linked to says that community sentences work better than prison, it would appear that reducing the rate of reoffending isn't really what you're interested in.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 19:04 ----------

But what bout the person he killed ? What about that persons family ?

I have a wife and children to care for, if some little druggie came and killed me because I wouldnt hand him my phone then what would my family do ? My wife would lose her husband and my children a father how would my family survive ?he then is serving 10 years in prison and getting a new life when he comes out, how does that repay the amount of damage he has done to a whole family ?

How would that be fair me my wife and children have done no wrong and a law abiding citizens so how is it fair he gets it all but we lose it all ?

Not much common sense in that or rational thinking IMO

So your rational thought would lead you to conclude that someone who murders should be imprisoned for life and that would actually mean until they died?

How am I changing the subject? You're professing harsh treatment..chain gang rubbish and such stuff. My argument is it doesn't work. Your argument is it does..even though you have nothing to back it with.

Pay attention as earlier I stated how I would make changes and make prisoners serve time, your taking it all abit too literally , although what do you have to back up your points ?

The fact is I don't need anything to back it up, most criminals think prison time is easy so make it hard, pretty simple yet effective, if they are made to work 10 hours a day in their communities, doing work for the communities they are damaging I'm sure they will soon start to get bored of going to prison iPso facto they will try abit harder not to get locked up

I'm not a scientist but reall it only takes a small amount of common sense to work this stuff out.

Archived