Charges brought against posters of 'Venables' and 'Thompson' images.

This point in that link - It always seemed to me while I was in jail that the real prison scandal was the horrendous rate of reoffending among released prisoners. In 2007, 14 prisons in England and Wales had reconvictions rates of more than 70%. At an average cost of £40,000 a year for each prisoner, this amounts to a huge investment in failure – and a total lack of consideration for potential future victims of released prisoners. That's the reason I'm keen to have a look at what has been hailed as the world's first "human ecological prison".

So do you think it's working for our prisons and our criminals as the EVIDENCE suggests its not, that's my opinion based on facts for you ;)

This point in that link - It always seemed to me while I was in jail that the real prison scandal was the horrendous rate of reoffending among released prisoners. In 2007, 14 prisons in England and Wales had reconvictions rates of more than 70%. At an average cost of £40,000 a year for each prisoner, this amounts to a huge investment in failure – and a total lack of consideration for potential future victims of released prisoners. That's the reason I'm keen to have a look at what has been hailed as the world's first "human ecological prison".

So do you think it's working for our prisons and our criminals as the EVIDENCE suggests its not, that's my opinion based on facts for you ;)

Clearly not, which is why our prisons should be more like Norways and why making sentences longer and conditions worse is clearly a stupid idea.

I do hope stingray-man and MrSmith have a read of that and let us know what they make of it.

This bit caught my eye.

Everybody has to work.

And this.

Prisoners in Norway can apply for a transfer to Bastoy when they have up to five years left of their sentence to serve. Every type of offender, including men convicted of murder or rape, may be accepted, so long as they fit the criteria, the main one being a determination to live a crime-free life on release.

Clearly not, which is why our prisons should be more like Norways and why making sentences longer and conditions worse is clearly a stupid idea.

And how do you plan to go about this during a time of austerity seen as Norway has 4000 Prisoners and we have over 80,000 prisoners, Would cost a pretty penny to implement all that don't you think ?

Btw IMO I said they should start having to do hard time because they should have to pay for their crimes, going on your logic you would fall for every sob story of 'I'm sorry it won't happen again, I was having a bad day' .

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 21:11 ----------

I also said the punishment should fit the crime, and I can tell if the shoe were on the other foot you would be the first to scream for the hanging rope

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 21:12 ----------

This bit caught my eye.

And this.

Which everyone of them would scream just to get released

And how do you plan to go about this during a time of austerity seen as Norway has 4000 Prisoners and we have over 80,000 prisoners, Would cost a pretty penny to implement all that don't you think ?

Well, the government could legalsie and sell marijuana for starters, they'd make an absolute fortune - we could invest it in improving our prison system.

Btw IMO I said they should start having to do hard time because they should have to pay for their crimes

Prisoners do pay for their crimes, by virtue of losing their freedom.

I also said the punishment should fit the crime

What exactly do you mean by that?

, and I can tell if the shoe were on the other foot you would be the first to scream for the hanging rope

You can try and tell me that, but you'd be wrong. I'm a lifelong opponent of capital punishment and I don't think the murder of one of my family would change that.

If you took the time to read it you would realise its just one prison, not all prisons.

I did read it. Yes, this is clearly the 'best' prison in Norway. Nevertheless reoffending rates across the whole Norwegian system are lower than in hours and there are aspects of their practice we can learn from.

Well, the government could legalsie and sell marijuana for starters, they'd make an absolute fortune - we could invest it in improving our prison system.

Prisoners do pay for their crimes, by virtue of losing their freedom.

What exactly do you mean by that?

You can try and tell me that, but you'd be wrong. I'm a lifelong opponent of capital punishment and I don't think the murder of one of my family would change that.

But they aren't at any time going to start selling marijuana so maybe come up with something more realistic or admit you have no answer.

What about the person they killed they lost the freedom of having their life, why should the murderer not have to stay in prison till death ?

As above

And I hope you never have to question that belief

I did read it. Yes, this is clearly the 'best' prison in Norway. Nevertheless reoffending rates across the whole Norwegian system are lower than in hours and there are aspects of their practice we can learn from.

Like what? The rest of their prisons sound just like ours, big difference they have 4000 prisoners we have 84000. Their GDP per capita is also double ours so they clearly have more money and they also have less poverty, so not such a great comparison.

Archived