Have we got a viable energy policy?

RJRB

I keep reading about our commitment to cutting carbon emissions and pursuing green energy as required by the EU.

It seems that we are to close 20% of our older coal fired and oil fired stations over the next 2 years which will leave us very low in capacity at times of high demand.

This is to be done before new gas fired stations come on stream and long before any decision is made on the future of nuclear power which seems to be the only long term solution as our own and world gas fields are depleted.

All we see is increased fuel bills,becoming unaffordable for many as a direct result of the desire to reduce the theoretical global warming problem which is doubted by many .

I think it is the duty of our government to ensure that we do have affordable energy into the future and that this is a far more important issue than cutting a few minutes on the journey times to and from London.

Meanwhile Ed Davey still pursues the wind farms which contributes little,other than to line the pockets of the landowners on which they are sited.

I think it is the duty of our government to ensure that we do have affordable energy into the future and that this is a far more important issue than cutting a few minutes on the journey times to and from London.

Meanwhile Ed Davey still pursues the wind farms which contributes little,other than to line the pockets of the landowners on which they are sited.

Shareholders won't like that, it'll make a dent in their divis. Renewable energy is limitless by definition and therefore likely to be not profitable, unless government policy allows power generators to charge what they want, which will undoubtedly happen, otherwise I can't see them bothering with the industry.

I keep reading about our commitment to cutting carbon emissions and pursuing green energy as required by the EU.

It seems that we are to close 20% of our older coal fired and oil fired stations over the next 2 years which will leave us very low in capacity at times of high demand.

This is to be done before new gas fired stations come on stream and long before any decision is made on the future of nuclear power which seems to be the only long term solution as our own and world gas fields are depleted.

All we see is increased fuel bills,becoming unaffordable for many as a direct result of the desire to reduce the theoretical global warming problem which is doubted by many .

As with the sow stalls, our government will be the ones who comply while others ignore it.

We're sat on coal and gas, and struggling, chuck another greeny on the fire would be a start.

According to the news we are probably due to have power cuts from 2017 onwards.

This is down to serious lack of forward planning by governments of all colours. They've known there was going to be a crisis when the current nuclear facilities shut down, and instead of doing something about it they have been pratting about with wind farms etc which they've long been told by experts won't meet demand.

Perhaps the Tories should have thought about this when they shut the pits down purely to settle political scores.

To a certain extent you're right (that said I have no idea what was left - and can we go back and get it ?) it's propping the Australian economy up. He should have left the FIT alone though. That was an error. We should be investing heavily in energy, of what ever type. We might be left short in a few years.

Gas is not going to give us affordable energy,and possibly not continuous energy because our own stocks are dwindling rapidly and we are dependant on imports.

We are not even capable of storing gas to give us a buffer stock or to give us some measure of price fixing when spot prices are manipulated.

I find it difficult to get party political on this issue because successive governments of all persuasions have done little to protect this most basic of requirements.

It's such an important issue that I believe it is too basic to allow private enterprise to control it.I would favour nationalisation and make the government of the day accountable.this might be a risk given the likes of Cameron,Milliband and Clegg who do not inspire me with their concern for anything other than their own political lives.

Gas is not going to give us affordable energy,and possibly not continuous energy because our own stocks are dwindling rapidly and we are dependant on imports.

We are not even capable of storing gas to give us a buffer stock or to give us some measure of price fixing when spot prices are manipulated.

I find it difficult to get party political on this issue because successive governments of all persuasions have done little to protect this most basic of requirements.

It's such an important issue that I believe it is too basic to allow private enterprise to control it.I would favour nationalisation and make the government of the day accountable.this might be a risk given the likes of Cameron,Milliband and Clegg who do not inspire me with their concern for anything other than their own political lives.

I agree with most of what you write. I think the neglect of this most important issue is gross negligence on the part of politicians. Apart from blaming each other I wonder what possible excuse they'll come up with.

One things for sure, no one will take responsibility for it...

"THE shale-gas revolution in America has been as sudden and startling as a supertanker performing a handbrake turn. A country that once fretted about its dependence on Middle Eastern fossil fuels is now on the verge of self-sufficiency in natural gas."

http://americanshaleenergy.wordpress.com/

Archived