What happened to free speech?

You forget theres no such thing as free speech on Sheffield Forum,as is regularly stated this is a privately owned forum, the forum generates income therefore any thread which may harm the earnings of the forum will more than likely be pulled therefore negating any freedom of speech.

Sheffield Forum subscribe to their own rules of what is permitted speech, which we agree to or get censored. The BBC subscribe their own rules, which is why they have apologised for a Silent Witness episode this morning, and why janie48 is wasting her time using it as an example of why free speech should be limited. Ditto for most organisations, and even individuals. I have my own inbuilt rules that I try and apply.

There is nothing wrong with people limiting their own free speech, or what people can say in their private space.

What is wrong is somebody limiting what somebody else can say in public.

You forget theres no such thing as free speech on Sheffield Forum,as is regularly stated this is a privately owned forum, the forum generates income therefore any thread which may harm the earnings of the forum will more than likely be pulled therefore negating any freedom of speech.

Its just as well there isn't total freedom of speech on Sheffield Forum,otherwise i might be tempted to speak my mind to a certain person and say something to them that would give me the greatest pleasure to say to them face to face.

I think you've missed my point, this thread isn't about moderation, it's about other posters using the "free speech defence" when you disagree with them.

I'd still like an example of what you mean Cyclone. I'm guessing you're a bit miffed about somebody doing this on a thread I've not seen.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 12:21 ----------

Its just as well there isn't total freedom of speech on Sheffield Forum,otherwise i might be tempted to speak my mind to a certain person and say something to them that would give me the greatest pleasure to say to them face to face.

Ah, I see why you think free speech should be limited.

If you admit that you cannot moderate your own speech without external moderation then it's very understandable.

Don't assume that of the rest of us though.

Ah, I see why you think free speech should be limited.

If you admit that you cannot moderate your own speech without external moderation then it's very understandable.

Don't assume that of the rest of us though.

Are you having one of those mornings again today,it sounds like it.:hihi:

> >>>>http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9598185&postcount=1<<<<< ??

Archived