What happened to free speech?

Its going that way isnt it.

If you feel people are interfering with your thoughts - blocking them, or forcibly inserting new and unwelcome ones into your head - please seek psychiatric help as a matter of urgency, it's one of the classic symptoms of psychosis.

I think to some extent freedom of speech was conditioned on how big the other guy was in the good old days when you went to the pub. Too much FOS was likely to get you a thick lip. Now you don't know, on these forums or chat rooms, who you're dealing with. It could be nice old grandma, or a European Sumo wrestler (or a japanese one). Whatever the case you're reasonably safe. That's not to say anybody should have the right to profanity, insults, or fruitless threats of violence against your person, although it's worth a laugh now and then.

If you feel people are interfering with your thoughts - blocking them, or forcibly inserting new and unwelcome ones into your head - please seek psychiatric help as a matter of urgency, it's one of the classic symptoms of psychosis.

Kettle and pot spring to mind.:hihi:

We are social creatures, and our place in society is largely a matter of how we are perceived by others; to be seen to be wrong, kinda makes us lose credibility in the eyes of others and diminishes our social standing.

I see that as the main reason, that I, and others, are reluctant to admit we're wrong.

On the flip-side; there are a lot of positives that come with realising where we are wrong, and evolving our paradigms to more closely match, what's actually going on. I love being wrong, it's the first step to being right (okay, maybe exaggerating a little there).

NOTE: I'm using wrong and right, more in terms of incorrect or correct understanding; not as moral terms.

We are social creatures, and our place in society is largely a matter of how we are perceived by others; to be seen to be wrong, kinda makes us lose credibility in the eyes of others and diminishes our social standing.

I see that as the main reason, that I, and others, are reluctant to admit we're wrong.

On the flip-side; there are a lot of positives that come with realising where we are wrong, and evolving our paradigms to more closely match, what's actually going on. I love being wrong, it's the first step to being right (okay, maybe exaggerating a little there).

NOTE: I'm using wrong and right, more in terms of incorrect or correct understanding; not as moral terms.

True enough. Some of the more vocal on here suddenly go quiet when challenged and not just the usual right wing mouth foamers.

The free speech thing is a poor argument, but just because you are better at putting forward an argument doesn't make you right. It just means you're better at debating.

Archived