Propaganda and social media

But aren't most people this way?

God forgive me for saying this, but if you are under around 25, chances are yes. :(:(

And it shouldn't be the case either. You can ask anyone practically anything and within seconds on a smartphone you can put it in google and at least get some sort of answer, even if its someone else's opinion. Too often you get (or I do - maybe I'm asking the wrong questions) a blank look. So actually, despite my urge to say "no there aren't that many simple minded people" deep down I think there is.

Just look on here ;)

Not really. Most people are normal decent sorts.

Decent and simple-minded aren't the same thing though... I agree that most people are decent, that isn't to say they aren't easily influenced. (I responded to agree with simple-minded, however, I think easily influenced is a better and more accurate term)

it seems to be breeding a new generation of simpletons

That's the thing though that makes me wonder - it has NEVER been as easy to get information as in today's world - however, are people bright enough, or do they even care how reliable/truthful a piece of information really is?

God forgive me for saying this, but if you are under around 25, chances are yes. :(:(

And it shouldn't be the case either. You can ask anyone practically anything and within seconds on a smartphone you can put it in google and at least get some sort of answer, even if its someone else's opinion. Too often you get (or I do - maybe I'm asking the wrong questions) a blank look. So actually, despite my urge to say "no there aren't that many simple minded people" deep down I think there is.

Just look on here ;)

I've just read this last quote and I've pretty much said the same in what I answered Garbo. Not plagiarism honest :)

Social media is a pig for desperately urgent info going without update

A missing person link was posted on here. I shared it on Facebook. Thread on here updated to 'found', Facebook not updated. Facebook thread locked to friends only, so I can't update and nobody else bothered to. Two days later a friend of mine shares it on knowing no different

Same with 'twenty horses are going to be slaughtered, can you save them?' I've had two different ones of those

That's the thing though that makes me wonder - it has NEVER been as easy to get information as in today's world - however, are people bright enough, or do they even care how reliable/truthful a piece of information really is?

the current thing is that people read something on facebook, and then quote it as fact, hence the number of hoaxes about putting your pin in reverse when your being robbed etc.

The measure of intelligence surely is the ability to read and interpret the information, then form an opinion

Social media is a pig for desperately urgent info going without update

A missing person link was posted on here. I shared it on Facebook. Thread on here updated to 'found', Facebook not updated. Facebook thread locked to friends only, so I can't update and nobody else bothered to. Two days later a friend of mine shares it on knowing no different

Same with 'twenty horses are going to be slaughtered, can you save them?' I've had two different ones of those

That's also much like mainstream media. Things move so fast that I wonder whether people even have time to think. I remember a few months ago, the news was predominantly about finding a young girl in Wales - I can't remember the name, but all of the country knew about it. Then someone got arrested and I haven't heard a thing since. Did they find a body? Has he been done for anything? Does anyone care?

the current thing is that people read something on facebook, and then quote it as fact, hence the number of hoaxes about putting your pin in reverse when your being robbed etc.

Bang on what I'm talking about. The riots around the country also spring to mind as being heavily influenced by social media (this was in my thinking in the OP).

The measure of intelligence surely is the ability to read and interpret the information, then form an opinion

It's certainly a question often asked in here. What is intelligence? I see many people reading things and just say 'that is disgusting!!' without looking at any kind of evidence, and purely forming a view based on the title etc.

Archived