Propaganda and social media

Between someone being charged and the end of the trial there is a limit to what can be reported - used to be called "sub judice", now covered by Contempt of Court Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_judice

"In English law, the term was correctly used to describe material which would prejudice court proceedings by publication before 1981. Sub judice is now irrelevant to journalists because of the introduction of the Contempt of Court Act 1981. Under Section 2 of the Act, a substantial risk of serious prejudice can only be created by a media report when proceedings are active. Proceedings become active when there's an arrest, oral charge, issue of a warrant, or a summons."

Perhaps I could have picked a better example of the thread, but was related to Strix post.

It doesn't seem to be worthy of news on BBC (TV) news or mainstream news.

Probably because it's a local issue.

Sheffield gets "Look North" on TV following the main six O'Clock news.

Here we get the same six O'Clock news followed by "Wales Today".

We get regular updates.

Presumably if and when anything significant happens it will be reported more widely.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 00:53 ----------

Who's 'we'? Shouldn't that be 'I' there?

No....."we"...as in living in Wales.

It is often the topic of conversation in the local pubs.

That's also much like mainstream media. Things move so fast that I wonder whether people even have time to think. I remember a few months ago, the news was predominantly about finding a young girl in Wales - I can't remember the name, but all of the country knew about it. Then someone got arrested and I haven't heard a thing since. Did they find a body? Has he been done for anything? Does anyone care?

There was an update - a couple of lines - about april's case a couple of weeks ago

Oh the real media are worse, as they run software that harvests all kinds of rubbish and republishes it, so it mushrooms across the world in minutes, but corrections don't!

There was a teacher's picture incorrectly used following some unpleasant incident in somewhere like india. Mistaken identity case. Her facebook account was innundated, the government suspected her of something criminal as she wasn't dead (but the real subject of the case was), and she had to flee the country *off to google*

There was an update - a couple of lines - about april's case a couple of weeks ago

Oh the real media are worse, as they run software that harvests all kinds of rubbish and republishes it, so it mushrooms across the world in minutes, but corrections don't!

There was a teacher's picture incorrectly used following some unpleasant incident in somewhere like india. Mistaken identity case. Her facebook account was innundated, the government suspected her of something criminal as she wasn't dead (but the real subject of the case was), and she had to flee the country *off to google*

Famous people/politicians etc. should be worried, because a few posts on Twitter/FB these days can spread in seconds. A group of intelligent people could easily set up to frame someone in minutes on social media.

Isn't there a confusion here between propaganda and the use of social and other media to spread rumour and gossip? Strictly speaking, propaganda is the usage of persuasive argument or presentation of "fact" in order to get people to believe in some creed or system of thought, by means of which they can be manipulated. Like the sort of anti-Jewish stuff in posters and film that the Nazis used to justify their move towards the "ultimate solution". The word itself comes from the office that was set up by Pope Gregory XV in 1622, and called Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide (Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith). It was a move to counter the spread of protestantism and to bring people back to what the Vatican considered as the true faith. As such they pulled out all the stops in various types of persuasive argument and came to be seen as odious and manipulative.

FB and so on are definitely used for propaganda in the true sense of the word.

What better way of spreading propaganda than getting our friends to deliver it to us?

A perfect example of this occurred when the BA crew strikes were on a couple of years ago. A chain-post thing turned up saying something along the lines of "hey you cabin crew people, think your working conditions are bad, tell that to a soldier coming back from Afghanistan" or some such emotive nonsense.

My own mother, working class, highly intelligent, former member of the labour party "shared" it. Amazing! She was even more amazed when I pointed out the obvious flaw in her thinking and suggested a possible source of the post. I have a bit of a military background, you see. Never worked on a plane. She assumed I'd agree with the sentiment.

Now, I wouldn't go all vResistance and say that that particular post definitely originated in the office of BA management but I would be happy to stake large amounts of money on the fact that FB has been used for similar propaganda.

Propaganda in the modern world: Is modern media (mainly social media) potentially as dangerous* as Nazi propaganda was?

(*assuming you think Nazi propaganda was dangerous)

I am inclined to agree. The reason being, all too often people forward and repost stuff of a political nature (often untrue) on without questioning it.

Archived