Tiny Houses - A solution to housing shortages?

Waldo

Beggars can't be choosers ... or something

Yes they can, they can choose to build their cardboard lodgings in the more desirable parts of town. :D

As unpaid bills mounted, and the couple struggled to pay £625-a-month rent for a dilapidated house, they made a drastic decision: they believed they would be better off, and happier, trying to survive in a tent.

I would sooner live somewhere nice in a tent than somewhere unpleasant in a house. :)

I'd like to know more about this couple other than the Guardy's slant on the story.

For example, it says:

Matt was working in retail, spending wages on an expensive commute to a nearby city

Expensive commute? What city?

A bit of Googling tells you more about them. They've been wanting to quit the rat race for some time and they claim "Our goal remains to buy a small plot of land on which to build our own eco-house and run a small holding".

He's a geology graduate but never managed to get a job in that sector. She claims to have a fairly varied career including "successfully running and hosting her own entertainment business".

I haven't got time to watch 1hr21mins, but I think in principle small housing is a viable option for people living on their own.

Yeah, appreciate it's a bit lengthy! Worth watching a big of it though (haven't watched it all way through myself yet).

The tiny house people can be quite creative in their use of space, and the materials in their space having multiple functions etc.

Too late.

'Shoebox homes' become the UK norm

New British homes the smallest in Europe

And before someone chimes in with how crowded the UK is:

a 2007 Riba survey found the average floor space of a new dwelling in England and Wales was 76 sq m, against 81.5 sq m in Italy, 92 sq m in Japan and 115 sq m in Holland, all as densely populated

LINK

Yes they can, they can choose to build their cardboard lodgings in the more desirable parts of town. :D

I would sooner live somewhere nice in a tent than somewhere unpleasant in a house. :)

Would you, really?

In my experience even the worse parts of town have something to offer and usually aren't nearly as bad as people say.

A relative of mine is disabled (and vulnerable) but had no choice but to move into disabled accommodation.

We weren't happy.

But it turns out to have been the best move he ever made. He has made friends with the 'undesirables' and they look out for him. They have been kind hearted and generous to a fault.

Would you, really?

In my experience even the worse parts of town have something to offer and usually aren't nearly as bad as people say.

A relative of mine is disabled (and vulnerable) but had no choice but to move into disabled accommodation.

We weren't happy.

But it turns out to have been the best move he ever made. He has made friends with the 'undesirables' and they look out for him. They have been kind hearted and generous to a fault.

There are many areas where people live in misery because of antisocial behaviour, crime, and urban deprivation, so yes a tent in a nice area would be preferable to those areas.

There are many areas where people live in misery because of antisocial behaviour, crime, and urban deprivation, so yes a tent in a nice area would be preferable to those areas.

I dare you to spend a week in winter in a tent with no facilities or services.

You'll love it.....

Archived