Channel 4 despatches

I am just watching last nights programme on the DLA and wondering how far Cameron and his Government will go with the cutting of benefits with the DLA. As for giving the contract to assess people for this benefit to Atos that is a joke, why are we giving it to a French company are there no companies here suitable? Who thought up a questionaire where the person asking the questions asked an ex soldier who lost his foot if he could point his prosthetic foot downwards and move his toes? It is all about ticking boxes and Atos making money, plus costing the taxpayer money because of people successfully appealing against the decision. When an appeal is successful then the money, if not already reclaimed from Atos should be refunded to the Government.

I am just watching last nights programme on the DLA and wondering how far Cameron and his Government will go with the cutting of benefits with the DLA. As for giving the contract to assess people for this benefit to Atos that is a joke, why are we giving it to a French company are there no companies here suitable? Who thought up a questionaire where the person asking the questions asked an ex soldier who lost his foot if he could point his prosthetic foot downwards and move his toes? It is all about ticking boxes and Atos making money, plus costing the taxpayer money because of people successfully appealing against the decision. When an appeal is successful then the money, if not already reclaimed from Atos should be refunded to the Government.

My Bold,

I've also noticed that if a news story on the BBC requires an expert, 8 times out of ten that person is a foreigner, usually American - Don't we have people who are expert in the field required.

Speaking of Americans, the presenter on Monday morning's BBC news the woman was using Americanised pronunciation.

What happened to BBC English?

Yeah, annoying.

The word season is quickly replacing series as well.

Wonder how long it will be before autumn is fall and path is sidewalk etc.

Yeah, annoying.

The word season is quickly replacing series as well.

Wonder how long it will be before autumn is fall and path is sidewalk etc.

Meanwhile, back on the subject...

For anyone who didn't see it, it seems that many of the para olympians will no longer qualify for Disabled Living Allowance. This is not a benefit to do with not working remember, a lot of them do work, but help with the added living costs of being disabled which can be considerable.

The people taking part had multiple problems, from missing limbs, blindness, Cerebral Palsy and being confined to wheelchairs. All in danger of loosing this lifeline.

Noticed that one young lady had an innovative use for her DLA - horse riding lessons!

Yes, she looked perfectly fine didn't she?

Until she got off the horse and then she couldn't walk.

This is the trouble. People see what they want to see. You didn't see the effort she had to make getting up and ready to go out, how difficult her journey was to get there, who helped her get up on that horse, the pain she was in, the difficulties she has with mainstream life...

Riding for the disabled is a well known charity, maybe that's how she started, It was therapy.

By their very nature, these are fiesty, 'can do' individuals with huge amounts of determination. Do you want to see them penalised for that?

As Baroness whatsit in a wheelchair said, do we want the disabled to become invisible again, or be as active in society as they can manage? For that they need help.

Her disability was quite apparent and yes, I did see it. She was a splendid young lady who has achieved much. The wider issue here is that DLA is meant to assist people in managing their care needs. I'm not sure that riding lessons meets this criteria. I am familiar with Riding for the Disabled. How she spends her allowance is her business and I am not criticising her choice, just questioning it.

Her disability was quite apparent and yes, I did see it. She was a splendid young lady who has achieved much. The wider issue here is that DLA is meant to assist people in managing their care needs. I'm not sure that riding lessons meets this criteria. I am familiar with Riding for the Disabled. How she spends her allowance is her business and I am not criticising her choice, just questioning it.

I'm sure her DLA does assist her in her care needs, just because she rides as well doesn't take those needs away.

Archived