Classical Music

I thought for a time that the Halle played regularly at the Ciy Hall many years ago. I could be wrong, I emigrated in 1968.

For a long time the Halle received funding from Manchester Council and Sheffield Council, and played in both cities regularly. However during the Council cutbacks, I think in the 1980's, the funding from Sheffield was stopped and the Halle became purely Manchester based. They do still play in Sheffield, and last year I think they were responsible for organising the Philarmonic Cocerts at the City Hall.

For a long time the Halle received funding from Manchester Council and Sheffield Council, and played in both cities regularly. However during the Council cutbacks, I think in the 1980's, the funding from Sheffield was stopped and the Halle became purely Manchester based. They do still play in Sheffield, and last year I think they were responsible for organising the Philarmonic Cocerts at the City Hall.
I guess that would have swung the age old Pennine rivalry clearly in Manchester's favour. Not that it needed much help. They had an ice rink, velodrome, airport, seaport, ManU, zoo, and amusement park, and all a one hour train ride away.

Archived