Should Schools teach code??

Basic english and maths needs to be developed more at primary. I've had to deal with Y7 and Y8 secondary pupils who spell words like cat "curly ker, att, ter" rather than "see, ay, tee".

Coding teaches more than just a computer language though, it teaches structure and a specific approach to dealing with problems, that can be adopted for everyday use.

Whilst it is an admirable idea, I can't see the point to be honest. The few programming jobs left in this country could easily be filled by people who learnt code as a hobby whilst they are children.

I thought there was a demand by it/engineering business in this country for software developers?

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2167177/software-engineer-role-world-s-profession-demand-pay

Why would the level of demand in this country alone be the only consideration? Go work overseas, I did (as a software/commissioning engineer in fact), earnt a pile of cash, had a great time.

So I can see the point.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 10:22 ----------

The horror, the horror!

Nowt wrong with a bit of VB :)

Basic english and maths needs to be developed more at primary. I've had to deal with Y7 and Y8 secondary pupils who spell words like cat "curly ker, att, ter" rather than "see, ay, tee".

That's how they start kids off with synthetic phonics in primary school now. It helps them to start reading more effectively than using the official letter names. (But yes, by Y7 they should've learned the standard names.)

Coding teaches more than just a computer language though, it teaches structure and a specific approach to dealing with problems, that can be adopted for everyday use.

On the one hand, I like Clifford Stoll's High-Tech Heretic and Silicon Snake Oil. On the other, I'm a computer junkie myself. I'd much rather have schools teaching programming than ephemeral drivel like using Microsoft Office.

Archived