Should Schools teach code??

Whilst it is an admirable idea, I can't see the point to be honest. The few programming jobs left in this country could easily be filled by people who learnt code as a hobby whilst they are children.

Then why teach football in schools?? There aren't many football jobs!

Wasn't that the whole point of developing the Raspberry Pi?

To support schools injecting a bit of coding/'hacking' (ho-hum)/basic dev work in the curriculum?

Agree that schools should teach some basic coding techniques by default, ideally as part of the maths curriculum.

Schools already do plenty enough with off-the-shelf office suites, but should encourage kids to look beyond/"under the hood" and nurture curiosity.

Whilst it is an admirable idea, I can't see the point to be honest. The few programming jobs left in this country could easily be filled by people who learnt code as a hobby whilst they are children.

Education isn't just about cranking out obedient employees. It's also about giving people the tools to enjoy richer lives.

Agreed - just wondering where you thought I was talking about cranking out obedient employees :huh:

I'm sorry: that came out a bit crankier than I'd intended.

I didn't mean you personally thought that. I just think there's more to school than preparing people for work, because there's more to life than work.

I'm sorry: that came out a bit crankier than I'd intended.

I didn't mean you personally thought that. I just think there's more to school than preparing people for work, because there's more to life than work.

No worries, and I agree with what you say.

My pessimism towards the subject was more aimed at the lack of end jobs rather than the actual teaching of it which is not really what the thread is about so apologies to all for a minor derail :)

And???

Code is learning another language. Both equally important.

But which code should then be taught as there are many and they are subject to change until a new one is subsequently developed.

From memory I can name;

Basic, V Basic, Java, C, C++, Pearl, Fortran, Assembly, machine code and I'm sure there are many others.

Archived