Should Schools teach code??

But which code should then be taught as there are many and they are subject to change until a new one is subsequently developed.

From memory I can name;

Basic, V Basic, Java, C, C++, Pearl, Fortran, Assembly, machine code and I'm sure there are many others.

It's the concepts of coding and the thought processes behind it that is important - the language used is secondary. Anyone who takes it up seriously will learn many languages over time.

Whilst it is an admirable idea, I can't see the point to be honest. The few programming jobs left in this country could easily be filled by people who learnt code as a hobby whilst they are children.

I'd best tell that to everyone I know including myself, I'd never noticed there only being a couple of programming jobs around :suspect: I'm always getting hassled by recruitment agencies for roles so I'm guessing there are more than 'a few'.

It's the concepts of coding and the thought processes behind it that is important - the language used is secondary. Anyone who takes it up seriously will learn many languages over time.

This is spot on :)

I'm sorry: that came out a bit crankier than I'd intended.

I didn't mean you personally thought that. I just think there's more to school than preparing people for work, because there's more to life than work.

True, but if people can't work, they can't really afford to have much of a life. Preparation for work should be the main thing. Look what skills employers requiire and make sure kids have them when they leave school. That way we wouldn't have the youth unemployment rates we currently do.

I'd best tell that to everyone I know including myself, I'd never noticed there only being a couple of programming jobs around :suspect: I'm always getting hassled by recruitment agencies for roles so I'm guessing there are more than 'a few'.

So am I....but I am never sure whether its because they just send out blanket emails to thousands of people, especially given some of these jobs are areas I don't have direct experience in (so I doubt I am competitive against someone who does have experience in that area) - so either they are desperate to find someone and are looking outside the usual areas of experience, or they blanket contact thousands of people.

Very ture.......I have never needed to use algebra in a real life situation, but It's important to learn at school.

Whilst it is an admirable idea, I can't see the point to be honest. The few programming jobs left in this country could easily be filled by people who learnt code as a hobby whilst they are children.

Errr... No.

The very many development jobs in the country are generally filled by people with a relevant degree.

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 09:05 ----------

No worries, and I agree with what you say.

My pessimism towards the subject was more aimed at the lack of end jobs rather than the actual teaching of it which is not really what the thread is about so apologies to all for a minor derail :)

You realise that the development market is very strong at the moment?

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 09:06 ----------

But which code should then be taught as there are many and they are subject to change until a new one is subsequently developed.

From memory I can name;

Basic, V Basic, Java, C, C++, Pearl, Fortran, Assembly, machine code and I'm sure there are many others.

Doesn't really matter, the principles are what's important.

Errr... No.

The very many development jobs in the country are generally filled by people with a relevant degree.

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 09:05 ----------

You realise that the development market is very strong at the moment?

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 09:06 ----------

Doesn't really matter, the principles are what's important.

I meant the ones that learn it as a hobby will be ones more likely going into the field however interpret as you will.

As for the development side being strong, I can only go on what I see and hear - our firm has moved all development to India, my friend who works in another of the big IT firms tells me they've done the same. I have friends who are developers that are struggling to find work, but if you tell me it's all good at the moment then who am I to argue ?

Maybe we see different aspects of the market, what area of IT are you talking about? Development specifically? What subset?

I'm looking at the java contract (and perm) market, it's strong, there's lots of work, even in Sheffield which is unusual.

Most of the people I work with didn't learn to write code as a hobby (although they might have started that way), university taught them enough to get an entry level job, and the rest you actually learn when you're working.

I'm not convinced it's really necessary at school, there are more important things to teach, but I guess it won't hurt so long as they don't spend too long doing it.

Writing code is fine but they need the basic English skills. Can they write a functional specification, interface guide etc that's actually readable and makes sense to a non technical person.

Writing the code is only part of the picture...

Archived