Oh no! I'm a binge drinker!

I really would prefer you not to mention your pecadillos.

i had a couple of those last night with chips - they were lovely

i also drink far more than is recommended, but i use my dad as my role model - he started smoking when he was 14 - stopped on his 75th birthday - he drank alcohol everyday and ate fried, fatty food most days

he also worked down t'pit for most of his working life

he died, last year, aged 87 having had no major illnesses or health issues all his life

i know he is the exception, but it didn't do him much harm

Clearly this was reported this morning to make drinkers feel bad about themselves. Ignore how this will be spun by the anti-alcohol zealots, this is actually good news for drinkers.

If the amount of alcohol being consumed is 50% more than the amount that is actually being reported, then clearly alcohol is less harmful than we thought.

The recommended weekly alcohol limits of 21 units for men and 14 units for women has to be too low, just as the reported alcohol intake has been too low.

Fantastic news.

:)

According to the government, people in the UK are actually drinking more alcohol than they admit to!

I know that I definitely drink more than their guidelines suggest, which officially makes me a binge drinker, even though I know for a fact that I'm fit and healthy.

It's no wonder people are lying about it, since the govt are always banging on about our 'units'!

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 11:34 ----------

Clearly this was reported this morning to make drinkers feel bad about themselves. Ignore how this will be spun by the anti-alcohol zealots, this is actually good news for drinkers.

If the amount of alcohol being consumed is 50% more than the amount that is actually being reported, then clearly alcohol is less harmful than we thought.

The recommended weekly alcohol limits of 21 units for men and 14 units for women has to be too low, just as the reported alcohol intake has been too low.

Fantastic news.

:)

I like your analysis

i had a couple of those last night with chips - they were lovely

i also drink far more than is recommended, but i use my dad as my role model - he started smoking when he was 14 - stopped on his 75th birthday - he drank alcohol everyday and ate fried, fatty food most days

he also worked down t'pit for most of his working life

he died, last year, aged 87 having had no major illnesses or health issues all his life

i know he is the exception, but it didn't do him much harm

if I grow up I want to be lemmy

I'm not in either of the 'under-reporting' or the 'drink more than the recommended amount' categories.

It annoys me that doctors are going to be asked to assume that everybody who they ask is misleading them on this sort of thing. I'm not lying when I tell someone how much I drink and even if they doubled what I tell them I will still be under the recommended amount.

Really? Three quarters of people are drinking more than the recommended amounts?

I know an awful lot of people who either don't drink at all or who, like me, have half a glass of wine every few weeks. I can't remember the last time I drank more than the recommended 3 units a day for women.

Archived