Electric wiring help!

Hi

I'm moving house in a couple of days and am having problems swapping my chandeliers for normal light fittings. I've got the chandelier down but can't physically get the wires from the ceiling into the switchboardy thing as they don't bend. I also have 2 of each wire coming from the ceiling (plus a neutral which I don't have in the fitting) but only a hole for one of each in the fitting. Can anyone offer me any advice please? Given that I've come this far I'm not prepared to get paid help in!

Thanks

Lucy

Hi

I'm moving house in a couple of days and am having problems swapping my chandeliers for normal light fittings. I've got the chandelier down but can't physically get the wires from the ceiling into the switchboardy thing as they don't bend. I also have 2 of each wire coming from the ceiling (plus a neutral which I don't have in the fitting) but only a hole for one of each in the fitting. Can anyone offer me any advice please? Given that I've come this far I'm not prepared to get paid help in!

Thanks

Lucy

Hi Lucy

Your lights may be wired on a loop system in which case one of the black or blue wires (depending on the age of the wiring) is actualy live and not neutral. If you buy a normal pendant light light fitting all the conection points are inside it.

Seriously, I think you need to get someone in, electricity is dangerous stuff and a "See how I get on" attitude won't stop you getting zapped, also think of the next people coming in, you could be leaving the electrics in a very dangerous state plus I don't think your allowed to do what your doing anyway.

Seriously, I think you need to get someone in, electricity is dangerous stuff and a "See how I get on" attitude won't stop you getting zapped, also think of the next people coming in, you could be leaving the electrics in a very dangerous state plus I don't think your allowed to do what your doing anyway.

Strongly agree with this. I also suspect that you mean "Earth" when you say "Neutral".

Ok thank you. I've only taken one of the old ones down, but I'll buy new fittings and see how I get on. Last time I asked for a quote for this is was £40 and I just don't have that kind of money.

Someone with chandeliers cannot afford £40 to pay a skilled person and would prefer to risk harming themselves and others-quite shocking if you ask me!

I'm usually one to roll my sleeves up and do it myself, and quite happy to offer advice, but I'm sorry, if you've taken the fitting off and muddled the wires up, you now need testing equipment to determine what goes where - so you need a sparky

Archived