Electric wiring help!

Changing lights is something you are allowed to you yourself - if fact, you can do all electrical work on your house yourself if you wish to, but for work that is notifiable to Building Control you will have a hard time getting it signed off if you are not competent and don't have the right testing equipment and forms to provide to BC.

However, you should only do work that you are competent to do. As a minimum, this means understanding how the electrical distribution system in your house works and how to safely isolate the part of the system you are working on.

Good luck Lucy. I hope you find a find an electrician to sort this out for you before you move. If you are struggling, PM me as I may be able to help tomorrow evening. (I'm in S8 also and have the equipment needed to determine what is what, but I'm not an electrican).

I'm guessing you have other lights in the house that don't work now you have taken down the chandeliers and are worried about how to sort the situatuion out before nightfall. If you can't get someone to come today, I'd suggest you leave the fuse out/circuit breaker switched off overnight and manage with a torch until tomorrow.

To the OP - I feel your pain. I once took a light fitting down and the wiring behind it was not as I expected. Fortunately I could put the old fitting back in - so did that and waited until I could afford to pay someone to do the work for me.

It may be worth putting an ad in the relevant forum on here and saying where you are in Sheffield. You may get someone that will do it for less than you think.

I agree with what others say though. Don't take a risk. At best it will work. Worst case is that you connect a live incorrectly that makes the new fitting live - unlikely as plastic. But it could make something else live. Or, you could cause a short that blows a fuse or causes a fire. Who knows? Not the advice you want unfortunately.

Archived