Should the motorway speed limit be increased?

Incease the speed motorway speed limit?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Incease the speed motorway speed limit?

• Yes, 80mph
    • Leave it at 70mph
    • Higher than 80mph
    • Lower than 70mph

The Conservative party are proposing that the speed limit on the motorway is increased from 70mph to 80mph. With congestion on the increase and an abundance of other laws targetting drivers many feel that this has become a significant politcal issue added to the close scrutiny and attention from the press. Would you agree with the suggested increase or would you rather leave it as it is? What are the major benefits?

I've attached a poll

Today in parliament a proposal will be made to raise the UK speed limit from 70 to 80mph on motorways. It's unlikely the proposal will be adopted, but it had me thinking. Last time I was back in the UK I was shocked at the almost total disregard for the speed limits. The few cars travelling at 70 mph on the motorway were the slowest vehicles on the road. Normal motorway speed seemed to be 80 - 90mph (this even included some trucks and coaches).

I was reliably informed (by someone who drives on motorways every day) that because of the sheer volume of traffic, the police turn a blind eye up to 90 mph. As he was telling me this, a BMW came past travelling at least 120mph with the driver speaking on his mobile phone! The Beemer then cut across all three lanes and disappeared up the slip road. An everyday occurrence, apparently.

Anyway, should this 80mph proposal become law, surely it will just mean that people will drive at 90 - 100mph with impunity?

Blanket speed restrictions on Mways are hard to judge, due to the ever changing situations on them. Sometimes, when driving on an empty motorway I feel that 100mph+ would be safe, but when conditions worsen or the traffic increases - or both - then the maximum safe speed can be as low as 30mph.

I'd like the maximum limit to be higher - say 90mph, but with more temporary speed restrictions in place as soon as they are needed. The only problem with this is that temporary speed restrictions are mostly ignored, so people would continue to travel at 90 all the time.

The traffic on motorways would flow much more smoothly and safely if people knew how to use them properly, but it seems beyond the reach of many people to keep left or maintain a safe stopping distance. If people knew how to drive better, we could safely increase the limit to 80 and beyond, no problem.

BTW, I drive on the motorways all the time, and - like most people on there - have never had any practical training for it. You pass your driving test driving around the local council estate and then get to go straight onto the M1 if you like. Seems a bit daft that. Maybe people should have to learn a bit more about Mway driving before being allowed on...

Originally posted by jackthedog

BTW, I drive on the motorways all the time, and - like most people on there - have never had any practical training for it. You pass your driving test driving around the local council estate and then get to go straight onto the M1 if you like. Seems a bit daft that. Maybe people should have to learn a bit more about Mway driving before being allowed on...

A good point.

I don't know if it's happened in the UK yet, but in some Australian states, they’ve introduced a logbook system whereby, after passing the test, you have to keep a log of everywhere you drive. It must include day/night, wet/dry and motorway/normal road driving.

After 24 hours of mixed driving conditions have been logged (and approved by the licensing centre) a 2 year probationary period begins. So you go from 'L' plates to 'P' plates for 2 years. There are certain restrictions during this 'P' plate period (reduced speed limit etc) and if you commit any infringement during the 2 years, you're back to square one - i.e. a new driving test and another 2 years on the 'P' plates.

We don't have anything like the traffic you do, of course, but what used to happen was that a 17 year-old passed his test (yes, it usually was a male) and the next day he was burning down the freeway at 100mph showing off to 6 of his mates in the back seat. You can guess the rest.

The new scheme has only just been introduced, so it's too early to tell if it's had any effect on road casualties. But anything that slows down the yobs has to be a good idea.

Originally posted by Sidla

I think it should be increased to 80, but there should be a clamp down on anyone breaking that speed limit. That wouldn't be difficult, a speed camera every half mile or so would solve the problem.

Do you realise just how much money that would cost!!

On topic:

yes I agree that it should be raised to 80mph, but as someone said its relative anyway because travelling anywhere should be done to its conditions.

A good idea would be to have different speed limits time dependant, for instance between 6am and 12midnight 70MPH (80 on the "fast lane") and 12midnight ~ 6am 80MPH (90 to 100 on the "fast lane")

A good idea would be to have different speed limits time dependant, for instance between 6am and 12midnight 70MPH (80 on the "fast lane") and 12midnight ~ 6am 80MPH (90 to 100 on the "fast lane")

Why?

Supposing there'd be an accident at 5.55am? The 6am traffic wouldn't be going at 70mph... They'd be crawling along...

Speed kills. . . There's no need to go any faster than the current speed limit.

Archived