Should the motorway speed limit be increased?

Incease the speed motorway speed limit?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Incease the speed motorway speed limit?

• Yes, 80mph
    • Leave it at 70mph
    • Higher than 80mph
    • Lower than 70mph

I'd prefer to see it like Germany - no limits on most motorways apart from the places where necessary, and strict speed limits in towns. Whenever I've driven in Germany there is no problem with this setup - most people still drive about 90ish, and just get out of the way for faster cars, instead of the stupid macho attitude of many British drivers - ie "you're not passing ME!!" - once saw a Ferrari zapping down the on-ramp and the whole fast line for 1/2 mile ahed promptly moved over.

I drive about 350 motorway miles p/week and most of the time will sit at between 90 and 95 indicated when possible - compared to the rest of the traffic, this seems a pretty normal speed.

The biggest problems on the motorways is tailgating - I've seen crash after crash because people drive too close together.

Originally posted by caprice

Speed kills. . . There's no need to go any faster than the current speed limit.

Speed itself doesnt kill, it's the innapropriate use of speed.

And (way too much quoting of quotes for me to bother with it all), you say 10mph makes all the difference.

Yeah, the difference between 30 and 40 is huge, as the advert rightly points out, you're much more likely to kill someone if you are going that extra 10mph.

But at motorway speeds, as RPG points out, 10mph doesnt make a huge deal of difference. The difference between 80 and 90 is reletively small. If you hit something, your pretty much gonna be in a mess whatever particular speed you were doing.

Originally posted by Mike

I'd prefer to see it like Germany - no limits on most motorways apart from the places where necessary, and strict speed limits in towns. Whenever I've driven in Germany there is no problem with this setup - most people still drive about 90ish, and just get out of the way for faster cars, instead of the stupid macho attitude of many British drivers - ie "you're not passing ME!!" - once saw a Ferrari zapping down the on-ramp and the whole fast line for 1/2 mile ahed promptly moved over.

The biggest problems on the motorways is tailgating - I've seen crash after crash because people drive too close together.

I agree Mike. They do however have MINIMUM speed limits on the autobahns. The driving behaviour on the German autobahns is a real eye opener.

Nomme

Originally posted by Mike

I drive about 350 motorway miles p/week and most of the time will sit at between 90 and 95 indicated when possible - compared to the rest of the traffic, this seems a pretty normal speed.

Agree totally, saved me some typing :) Used to travel 1500+ miles a week on motorways usually 85-95 along with everyone else.

Cameras - the only people that compain about them are the people that speed anyway, and i am sorry but you are breaking the law and deserve to be fined and have points put on your licence. Driving above the speed limit is speeding no matter what the limit is.

Originally posted by fuzzy

i am sorry but you are breaking the law and deserve to be fined and have points put on your licence. Driving above the speed limit is speeding no matter what the limit is.

It's a stupid law so I have no qualms about breaking it.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Come on, isn't 70 miles per hour fast enough?.

No.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

In my opinion, anyone who isn't driving over this limit just for the sheer hell of it should have set off a bit earlier.

I enjoy driving fast.

Originally posted by fuzzy

Cameras - the only people that compain about them are the people that speed anyway, and i am sorry but you are breaking the law and deserve to be fined and have points put on your licence. Driving above the speed limit is speeding no matter what the limit is.

Am I the exeption that proves the rule?

I dont speed, but I dont agree with most speed cameras, its a disgrace that the police forces are celebrating the fact they earnt more money this year than last, which surely means that speeding has gone up and its not slowing people down at all!

Its just another way to scam money of the people who complain the least :(

Archived