Should the motorway speed limit be increased?

Incease the speed motorway speed limit?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Incease the speed motorway speed limit?

• Yes, 80mph
    • Leave it at 70mph
    • Higher than 80mph
    • Lower than 70mph

I'll be glad to see electronic speed restrictions based on the weather & traffic conditions being beamed to your car with built in GPS/GSM receiver... then I can concentrate on the road conditions and know that my car will beep a warning when I'm approaching the speed limit

The technology already exists to make this possible. It's already being used (in add-on black box form) to warn people where the speed cameras are lurking - why not make it available to everyone to enforce variable speed limit zones based on the conditions?

Well, you have to ask yourself why they are enforcing the speeding laws.

If they are trying to reduce road deaths due to speeding, which is what they say they are trying to do, then they are going about it in an extremely stupid way.

If they are just trying to raise money, then it's also a stupid way of doing it - the best way would be like in Holland, etc, where you don't get points, you just get fined. That way, much more money would be earned from repeat offenders.

How effective are speed cameras anyway? Most of them don't actually have cameras in anyway, and a gatso detector will tell you which ones do and which ones don't. Most people who habitually speed have a detector, so the value of cameras is instantly greatly reduced.

Originally posted by alert_bri

why not make it available to everyone to enforce variable speed limit zones based on the conditions?

It may happen eventually, but it's political suicide for any government that tries to introduce it, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

As soon as it happens, a whole market of devices that disable the speed limit enforcers will spring up, rather like the laser jammers that are available now.

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread I know, but I was travelling down from L**ds on the M1 yesterday and I had a few thoughts on the subject.

I did think that the limits should be increased on motorways, but now I dont.

The limit should stay exactly as it is until people can LEARN HOW TO DRIVE CORRECTLY!!!!!

Originally posted by jackthedog

The limit should stay exactly as it is until people can LEARN HOW TO DRIVE CORRECTLY!!!!!

I agree. can't count the number of times i've driven on motorways in torrential rain with spray and almost zero visibility and dozens of maniacs are speeding along without any lights at all, let alone rear fog lights. dont these idiots realise its in their own best interests to be seen?

If people were more aware of what goes on at those sorts of speeds, like visibility, reaction times and stopping distances, then it would be safe to raise the limit.

One of the main problems seems to be that people will not leave enough of a gap between cars, so will drive right up your a*se until they can pass, then pull right back into your lane about 6ft infront of you.

If you do leave a safe distance (which I do) then other cars see it as a gap and move into it.

Also, on the way up to L**ds, Saturday evening, on a deserted M1, I moved across to overtake the ONLY other car in sight, and as i moved out to the middle lane, she moved out infront of me! She wasnt passing anyone (NO other cars in sight!), there was no reason to move out when she did, AND she carried on at the same speed!

I had to pull across to the next lane to avoid hitting her!

She nearly caused a crash on a DESERTED motorway! I couldnt believe it. What happens to people's common sense on the road?

Sorry for the rant.

Originally posted by caprice

Speed kills. . . There's no need to go any faster than the current speed limit.

Speed doesn't kill. bad driving kills. inappropriate use of speed according to the conditions is bad driving. when the 70mph limit was introduced the majority of cars had drum brakes. most cars on the road have top notch disk brakes with abs. the advert where the little chap was knocked over showed bad driving. going too fast for the conditions (looks like a town high street) when he/she skidded there was no attempt to re-apply the brakes to regain traction. whats more dangerous? a healthy 25 year old doing 100mph on a well lit, dry, open motorway or a doddering old lady doing 25mph who cant see past her bumper, who doesn't even know her car legally requires a MOT test?

i think we should have a system, like germany. you can drive at whatever speed you feel comftable at!!

My dad regularly drives 75 miles from Grimsby to Sheffield and back and has hardly ever kept to the speed limit he travels at about 80/85 mph, but because he feels comftable driving at that speed and i know it, i feel safe

Originally posted by Mike

How effective are speed cameras anyway? Most of them don't actually have cameras in anyway, and a gatso detector will tell you which ones do and which ones don't. Most people who habitually speed have a detector, so the value of cameras is instantly greatly reduced.

Did you know that people with detectors have 24% fewer accidents? That suggests to me that they are more aware of whats going on... hey, they even spent £200 - £400 to be more aware!

Well certainly I'm no angel when it comes to speed, but in mitigation...

1. I'm well trained.

2. I've never had any points or bumps in 18 yrs.

3. I drive a capable well maintained vehicle.

4. And most importantly... I take conditions into account and drive within those limits. On occasions that can be well into 3 figures. :rolleyes:

5. I regularly touch wood. :P

Archived