Should the motorway speed limit be increased?

Incease the speed motorway speed limit?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Incease the speed motorway speed limit?

• Yes, 80mph
    • Leave it at 70mph
    • Higher than 80mph
    • Lower than 70mph

Originally posted by Fletch

And if a kid is that close to a car when it walks out its its own fault!! you would here it and probably see it unless you were blind dumb and thick and deaf!

And if thats the case you shouldnt be trying to cross the road or even playiing near the road!!

Try explaining that little gem to the parents of the little kid who wandered out of Busk Meadows nursery onto Shirecliffe Road some time back.

I don't think that kid was blind, dumb, thick or deaf. Just nearly DEAD.

I'm sure that if you ever get hit by a speeding driver you'll say "Its ok, my fault, I must be dumb and thick".

God help us all if you ever get a driving licence.

Originally posted by Lickszz

The Conservative party are proposing that the speed limit on the motorway is increased from 70mph to 80mph. With congestion on the increase and an abundance of other laws targetting drivers many feel that this has become a significant politcal issue added to the close scrutiny and attention from the press. Would you agree with the suggested increase or would you rather leave it as it is? What are the major benefits?

I've attached a poll

No I do not agree with the Motorway speed limit being increased, seventy miles per hour is enough for any sensible sane person who wants to get home in one piece.

It is only speed crazed imbeciles with a death wish, who want to drive at excessive speeds, to satisfy their idiotic obsession to be the first at the head of the queue, I would ban them for life because other people on the road (drivers and pedestrians) are put at risk.

Originally posted by halevan

No I do not agree with the Motorway speed limit being increased, seventy miles per hour is enough for any sensible sane person who wants to get home in one piece.

Wow, it's amazing I've lived this long then :rolleyes:

I would ban them for life

Hmmm, a lifetime ban for going 75mph. How typically reasonable of you.

because other people on the road (drivers and pedestrians) are put at risk.

Not sure when you were last on a motorway, but you don't tend to get many pedestrians on them.

• 7 years later...

Time to resurrect a seven-year-old thread, because the Government has announced a consultation on whether to raise the limit to 80mph: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064

So we can all raise the arguments over again!

Personally I'm all in favour of raising the limit on motorways, and then enforcing it properly; average-speed cameras or hidden cameras so that people can't just slow down for the camera and carry on breaking the law everywhere else.

Is 80 high enough? Would 90 be better?

Archived