South Yorkshire Police History

iCompSaysNo

care to elaborate?

Not really, but the case came to light in '63 I believe. It was known as the 'Rhino Whipping' scandal, whereby some small time villains were picked up in a pub and taken to West Bar Green police station, put in a cell with a few of the local constabulary and knocked about.

The idea was to make them confess to a spate of burgularies, of which they were innocent, so the police files on petty crime could look a bit better than it did.

That is roughly it. retep knows more than I do.

It came to light when one of the brothers waited outside Kemsley House until the offices opened where he showed his injuries to the editor or the 'Telegraph and Star'. He had been whipped and clubbed across his back and shoulders. The 'Telegraph & Star' published and the story hit the nationals.

Hope this suffices, Texas.

I should imagine a highpoint in the history of the South Yorkshire Police was when they worked over the Hartley brothers back in the 60's.

That was Sheffield City Police, The officers concerned included Streets and Millicheap.

Sheffield City became Sheffield and Rotherham subsequently South Yorkshire.

Hate to be pedantic but you are two Police forces out of date.

Archived