Wish the police saw what I see every morning..

I was once told by a police officer that the only time that you are allowed to use your mobile whilst driving is to report an incident or crime directly in front of you or behind you. I would be nice if someone who knows to clarify this? I actually said to the officer "so if i see someone in front of me using there mobile I can use mine to report them?" and His answer was "yes"

That officer was wrong, you can only use it in an emergency. Now you could define whatever you wanted as an emergency, it's whether the court agrees with you, and the court would not agree that reporting somebody using their phone whilst driving is an emergency.

tonight on way home from work, i had to swerve up the kerb, narrowly missing a pedestrian, swerving to avoid a woman who clearly was texting, i was only going slow but she was heading straight for me, i blasted the hooter then had to swerve, she then swerved, i never saw the pedestrian as i was too busy concentrating on the idiot, I got out of my car and apologised to the poor chap who was shook up, but he understood as he saw the other car nearly hit me, she just continued on her way as if nothing had happened, It really annoys me that people can be so selfish, I know I didn't hit that chap, thank god, but i could have, I would have had to live with that for the rest of my life. I can honestly say, hand on heart i never use my phone while i'm driving, i put it on silent and forget about it until i get to work.

I feel the same way about people smoking behind the wheel too but no rules for them.

:loopy:

My ciggy doesn't talk to me and I don't talk to it.

---------- Post added 28-02-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Near to xmas several years ago we saw the fella from On the Spot Tyres, Abbeydale, swilling the road down opposite his garage. He was swilling away the brains and blood of the 80+yr old lady who had earlier been crushed between a car and a lamp post whilst waiting to cross the sidestreet opposite Carterknowle Rd. The woman who caused this old lady's death was on the phone whilst driving and subsequently jailed. I think about that poor old lady and her family everytime I see a driver using their phone.

It must be a life or death situation if you use a mobile whilst driving, this must also be verified by the officer at the time. Writing numbers down and reporting to the police is no good. A officer must see them at the time of the offence being committed. If caught on camera it is possible to serve a Notice of intended prosecution and request to furnish on the vehicles registered keeper, however it is hard to prove after the event if it was an emergency call or not. Even having a mobile in your hand which is switched off or one which is broken still means that the offence has been committed

Archived