The Washington Pub on Fitzwilliam Street, is it haunted?

Harry1000

Is the Washington on Fitzwilliam Street (centre of town, next to Devonshire Green) haunted? This pub has a listing in a directory from as far back as 1839. I also heard that a doctor may have operated from this site at some point. With an old pub like this and so many people coming and going through the ages, could it be that it has picked up a resident spook or spirit? I have already checked the Ghost Hunters guide to Sheffield but it is'nt in there. Any help from anyone would be great!:help:

In the mid-1980s, the pub was a fashionable haunt for Sheffield musicians, such as members of Cabaret Voltaire etc. Long overcoats and dour expressions were obligatory. We thought we looked 'cool'. In retrospect, we resembled extras on the set of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

I never heard any tales of the place being haunted. The landlord of the time used to sometimes look as if he'd seen a ghost though.

BT used the building as offices for several years after the cutlery industry re-located to China :) I think the site is now a block of student flats.

That's the building Gremlin/Infogrames was in, after BT vacated it. No ghosts there either, but I did get to meet Tony Robinson as he came to see the place before it was pulled down. I think it was briefly featured on the Time Team special, as they did a dig to see if anything from the ancient cutlery works turned up in the rubble. Greybeard is right, it's student flats under construction now.

That's the building Gremlin/Infogrames was in, after BT vacated it. No ghosts there either, but I did get to meet Tony Robinson as he came to see the place before it was pulled down. I think it was briefly featured on the Time Team special, as they did a dig to see if anything from the ancient cutlery works turned up in the rubble. Greybeard is right, it's student flats under construction now.

So it was a cutlers first, then BT moved in, then Gremlin/Infogrames. Then before it was pulled down Tony Robinson had a potter around. Now it is going to be the site for student accomodation. I wonder whether they would be interested to know they are opposit the site for an old jewish buriel ground (Autoglass opposite)? I had heard before that when BT used the place for a telephone exchange that you had people walking through walls almost every day! has anyone else heard of this?

Archived