The Washington Pub on Fitzwilliam Street, is it haunted?

Harry1000

Segasonic,

I remember Steve Singleton excitedly telling me that the early ABC were to support Spandau Ballet as I bumped into him en route for the then Kite's Winebar in the 80s. 'Spandau are going to be massive ' he rather breathlessly said . I wasn't convinced. Shortly after both Spandau and ABC became 'massive'. Funny old world.

Only a small place wasn't it? I think they shifted all the graves to a place in Ecclesfield. I am sure someone has mentioned before that when BT ran the Washington works they couldn't move for spooks. Maybe the restless souls of the people awoken from their sleep by the moving of their graves decided to wander around the strange looking machinery with the flashy lights?

I dj at the following night at the washington Plan B at the DJ's Scott & Jamie Thompson and Mark Dale playing Punk-Soul-Ska-60's Beat-New Wave-Two-Tone & have never encountered any ghosts in there, it is still pretty much a hanunt of local bands , we even had amy winehouse in once when were djing

Ok, so most people don't seem to think that the Washington is haunted, what about any of the surrounding area? One part used to be a graveyard, further down the road you had an old WW1 hospital (Stokes tiles) and most of the area was flattened in WW2! Someone somewhere must have had something weird happen to them in one of the buildings around there. How about where the Hornblower used to be (Revolution bar)?

Segasonic,

I remember Steve Singleton excitedly telling me that the early ABC were to support Spandau Ballet as I bumped into him en route for the then Kite's Winebar in the 80s. 'Spandau are going to be massive ' he rather breathlessly said . I wasn't convinced. Shortly after both Spandau and ABC became 'massive'. Funny old world.

They don't make em like that any more. I far prefer ABC to Spandau :thumbsup:

My best mate owns The Washington, he and the bloke who lives upstairs reckon it is, there have been some strange things happening quite recently. Footsteps being heard upstairs walking across the floor whilst sitting in the bar,when no-one is up there, and just the staff sitting downstairs in the quiet, having a quick snifter before they leave. (always late at night) I have been upstairs and it's a huge place, all bare floorboards so you could instantly hear anything walking across the floor.

If spirits do exist (which I believe they do) then the amount of people who have lived, worked, drank and probably died in there, it wouldn't surprise me.

These accounts come from bar staff, who have been working that evening, and not been drunk.:loopy:

Archived