The Washington Pub on Fitzwilliam Street, is it haunted?

Harry1000

I don't remember the Ladies toilets being that great either! Never any loo roll anyway! Haven't been in for ages but used to enjoy the beer garden in Summer and the interesting CD collection. What's it like nowadays? The last time I went in (bout 3 years ago), it was dead, so stopped going.

It's old, so it must be haunted. How's that for daft logic. My house is nearly 200 years old. So it must be haunted. The school my kids go to is over 100 years old, so that must be haunted too.

What a pile of tosh.

Just because its old does not mean it automatically becomes haunted. The pub has a colourful past and has been witness to many events over the last 200 years or so, wouldn't it be also be a nice touch if some of the happy (or sad) events were somehow replayed either by spirit or just by some form of recording in the atmosphere?

However age is not a pre-requisit (sorry, no dictionary to check spelling on that). The Roxy nightclub (about 40 years plus?) is reputed to be haunted. Novotel is said to have a few rooms that have an oppressive atmosphere and the ghost of a German who committed suicide there. It has been said even Sheffield Arena has had its spooky moments.

As for old buildings, I don't think there is a ghost at the Yorkshire Bank on Fargate and that has been there well over 100 years, The tall brick building on Fitzalan Square (now a bookies? used to be a hotel in ye olde times) is over 100 and no reported spooks. Across the road, the Yorkshire bank there is about the same age but I haven't heard of anything going bump in the night. Maybe your home, doesn't have a ghost because:-

a) Nothing ever happened there to warrant one.

b) Not the right kind of atmosphere that would record one.

c) They don't exist.

d) You are not sensitive to that sort of thing (neither am I).

e) Nobody would want to haunt you.

f) Nobody would dare haunt you.

g) You have such a closed mind that you wouldn't recognise something stange if it appeared with a white sheet over its head rattling chains.

I only posed the question, other people are free to reply. Thankyou for your time and thoughts with this question.:)

is the autoglass building built on the buriel site?

as i work there, at night aswell

Yes, the autoglass building and the part of the restaurant next door are on the site of an old Jewish buriel ground that was there untill 1976 when all the graves were removed to Ecclesfield. There is a theory that the removal of these graves (mostly children) may have resulted in a number of paranormal occurences at the old BT telephone exchange that used to be opposite, hence my other post on the forum regarding this.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go in the Washington, once or twice a week at lunchtime between 1984 and 1989 (used to work at Pryors on Egerton St). Was never aware of any hauntings until I just read this thread, but I remember never being comfortable in ladies loos and getting one of mates from work to go in with me. Reason was I heard someone/something move in next toilet but nothing there. Spooky eh

Archived