UKIP and the Eastleigh by election - results now in

green

Did you graduate from the same school of economics as George Osbourne?

Around a third of doctors who work in the NHS are foreign and many at senior level. It would take decades to replace them, even if the funding was available to do so, which it isn't. You also haven't factored in the movement of British doctors who choose to work in more favourable conditions overseas.

This article (which postdates your link) says that the UK is facing a 'massive loss' of junior doctors who are leaving to work overseas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9573813/NHS-facing-massive-loss-of-doctors-overseas.html

Three quarters of doctors who are struck off or suspended were trained abroad.

Did you graduate from the same school of economics as George Osbourne?

Around a third of doctors who work in the NHS are foreign and many at senior level. It would take decades to replace them, even if the funding was available to do so, which it isn't. You also haven't factored in the movement of British doctors who choose to work in more favourable conditions overseas.

This article (which postdates your link) says that the UK is facing a 'massive loss' of junior doctors who are leaving to work overseas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9573813/NHS-facing-massive-loss-of-doctors-overseas.html

The problem to me seems to date back to when the government of the day decided to educate more of our youth to degree level without linking it to where there are skill shortages.

It appears that we now have graduates who can not find suitable employment and and a lack of graduates in areas where work is available.

Three quarters of doctors who are struck off or suspended were trained abroad.

That's a problem with their training and supervision, it's not an argument that they're not required.

Without them a lot more patients would be dying because there wouldn't be doctors here to treat them!

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 18:25 ----------

The problem to me seems to date back to when the government of the day decided to educate more of our youth to degree level without linking it to where there are skill shortages.

It appears that we now have graduates who can not find suitable employment and and a lack of graduates in areas where work is available.

I partly agree, but the course requirements fore medicine are beyond that of even bright kids. I know of post A level students with top grades being turned down at their first application because they didn't have relevant experience of a work/medical environment.

I do not think you need to be smart to build an empire.Were you involved in its development,as you mention "we"?Why dont you promote the training of overseas medics by supporting the appropriate charity?

Why would I support the training of overseas medics, We can't even train our own.

Try building an Empire by being thick, you should qualify.

[quote

I partly agree, but the course requirements fore medicine are beyond that of even bright kids. I know of post A level students with top grades being turned down at their first application because they didn't have relevant experience of a work/medical environment.

Which reinforces my point that future planning to fill our skill shortage areas was not properly managed.

Narrowly defended a safe seat, how many voters did they lose.

More than half of Eastleigh must be right wing then, according to your reckoning.

A lot more than half of Eastleigh is right-wing. You'd love it there.

Speaking of right wing, I noticed the bnp were absent from this. Considering I heard one or two "dey terk er jerb" type interviews on the radio over the last couple of weeks, I'm surprised they didnt chuck their hat (or white hood) in the ring. Have they finally imploded or has nick griffin eaten all the members ?

They've been reincarnated as the English Democrats who stood and got just 70 votes or 0.17%. Their campaign wasn't helped by the candidate mis-spelling the name of the constituency on his website.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/article/2502/eastleigh-do-not-despair

Yep so the sooner we start the better and there is plenty of money but it is spent on the wrong things.

Better pay and working condition will sort that, but for now we don't have to give them better pay because the foreign doctors will do it on the cheap, cheap isn't the best though and puts lives at risk.

That's a problem with their training and supervision, it's not an argument that they're not required.

Without them a lot more patients would be dying because there wouldn't be doctors here to treat them!

We wouldn't need overseas doctors and nurses at all if those we train here didn't clear off abroad to get jobs

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5063a2a0-b651-11e1-8ad0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2MK5sOvef

NHS suffers ‘brain drain’ of doctors

The National Health Service is suffering a “brain drain” of doctors as more medics trained at taxpayers’ expense choose to pursue their careers overseas, according to Financial Times research.

Most go to Australia or New Zealand, say recruiters and doctors’ organisations, and data suggest more now choose to stay longer or settle permanently.

Tracking the numbers of medical professionals leaving and returning to the UK is difficult because neither the government nor health industry bodies record that information.

However, the number of certificates of good standing – which the UK’s General Medical Council issues at a doctor’s request and are necessary to take up a post in another country – has risen steadily since records began in 2008. Since then, more than 8,000 people have requested such certificates for Australia and New Zealand alone.

Archived