UKIP and the Eastleigh by election - results now in

green

Interesting article here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100205189/labour-eastleigh-and-the-crucifixion-of-st-john-ofarrell/

This morning I rang the Labour Party press office and asked if the party had been aware O’Farrell had a book coming out the week after the Eastleigh by-election when they selected him as candidate. They haven’t rung me back.

Someone got some nice free publicity to further his media career!

The Spectator reports "Their candidate John O’Farrell blames voters being anti-politics, not anti-Labour.". If voters were "anti-politics" how come UKIP did so well and the turnout was 52.8% rather than the usual 20 or 30%?

Interesting article here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100205189/labour-eastleigh-and-the-crucifixion-of-st-john-ofarrell/

Someone got some nice free publicity to further his media career!

The Spectator reports "Their candidate John O’Farrell blames voters being anti-politics, not anti-Labour.". If voters were "anti-politics" how come UKIP did so well and the turnout was 52.8% rather than the usual 20 or 30%?

I presume John was selected locally-are Eastleigh members also pursuing such a career.Voting UKIP is an anti-political act inasmuch that few people have any experience of their philosophy other than they are anti- this anti that,a stance which typifies many fascist thinkers.

Flat rate tax is regressive,and is porly understood.It seems fair on a superficial level but if tax allowances are used it becomes regressive,and it would probably have to be set at rate in excess of 30% of income.

Answer: abolish those so-precious allowances.

I don't see the connection. Eastleigh was a Lib Dem constituency, not Tory they would be winning the seat back since they lost it in 1994 which is completely different to that of Thatcher winning back seats lost in by-elections.

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 20:27 ----------

What are the odds of Labour winning the next election?

Ladbokes have Labour as firm favourites at 1/2 to have the highest no of MP's, the Cons are now 13/8.

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 19:52 ----------

11/8? I'm not much of a gambler but doesn't that mean if you bet £8 on the Tories winning the next election, the bookies would pay out £11 if they did? Are they really long odds? That's about the odds you get on the sun shining tomorrow.

I know gambling must be difficuilt when you are a student Ant, but the odds are now even more attractive at 2/1, put your wonga where your mouth is!;)

Nope. The 'poor', those on minimum wage, should have to pay no income tax at all.

'Allowances', on the other hand, are the mean by which the not-poor contrive to pay less tax than appropriate.

Many minimum wage earners are part-time,so they remain poor.If you remove all allowances,then everyone pays a flat rate,which is therefore highly damaging to the poor.They will therefore claim benefits quite rightly.

Archived