Police brutality in South Africa.

South Africa shock as 'police dragging' video man dies

Local media reported that police initially assaulted the 27-year-old Mozambican, a taxi driver, accusing him of parking his vehicle incorrectly in Daveyton, east of Johannesburg.

The video shows a large crowd gathering, as uniformed policemen tie him to a van, dragging him as they drive away.

This is a shocking act of violence committed by the South African police; I can't imagine what they do to people that commit crime.

I saw that article.

Whilst there is a sad death involved, which is still unforgivable and someone should be brought to boo, I would not say it is a simple case of brutal police killing a suspect.

I see someone seriously resisting arrest.

Then I see him hanging from the back of the van. It is quite possible that that situation was reached from him being put in the van, being handcuffed and then trying to get out again.

I see the two officers trying to put him back in when the stupid driver starts to drive off.

What was he playing at?

Maybe trying to get away from a hostile mob?

Did he know the suspect was not inside?

As I say ... unforgiveable, but I don't see police just setting out to kill a suspect.

I saw that article.

Whilst there is a sad death involved, which is still unforgivable and someone should be brought to boo, I would not say it is a simple case of brutal police killing a suspect.

Then I see him hanging from the back of the van. It is quite possible that that situation was reached from him being put in the van, being handcuffed and then trying to get out again.

I see the two officers trying to put him back in when the stupid driver starts to drive off.

What was he playing at?

As I say ... unforgiveable, but I don't see police just setting out to kill a suspect.

C4 news played the whole footage about half an hour ago, the police were 100% in the wrong. They were in his face for nothing, then attacked him, cuffed him to the pillar of the back of the van (door open) and threw him to the ground, the vehicle then REVERSED into him pushing him under the vehicle, then set off slowly dragging him, two cops grabbed his legs and lifted him off the ground but as the vehicle accelerated they dropped him and he was dragged at considerable speed by one hand in a handcuff for about half a mile.

Murder, pure and simple in my view having seen the footage.

Incidents like this (there have been a few) cast a bit more of a perspective about the ongoing Pistorius saga, including the indictment of the lead investigator in that case. Really makes you wonder about policing and the rule of law in that country.

Mrs had suggested ZA as our hols destination for this year, a short time ago. Not in a million years said I, in fact nowhere near the African continent atm. Egypt (my usual Easter treat, diving hol) is out of the question this year as well.

I saw that article.

What was he playing at?

Then I'm afraid you are being naive.

This young man had infringed a parking law or some such minor misdemenour.

He was never put in the van, you need to watch the footage, and he died of head injuries from being beaten up while in custody.

These are the same police who mowed down 30+ unarmed black miners with automatic weapons for striking against dire conditions in the mine.

Archived