Why are young kids getting pregnant

It has - in fact the move to older first time mothers is a relatively new concept. Back in the day it was perfectly acceptable to have children while in your teens/ very early twenties (which is when the female body is actually at its productive best).

True, but I guess they were normally married and had left school. Divorce wasn't that common then though.

Agreed - and not sure from the OP how "young" is the young referred to? Or whether it is actually receipt of benefits the objection is towards.

I know, it's not clear.

I just can't believe that with sex education and contraception so easily available, so many young girls still get pregnant. I know there will always be unplanned pregnancies, but I can't get my head around why young girls would want to have the responsibility of looking after a child when they could be enjoying a few years of just being young themselves.

What's this term "fall pregnant" all about?

It's just been used three times now on Child Of Our Time with reference to young mothers. Even the well respected fertility expert Lord Winston has just referred to the numbers of young girls that "fall pregnant".

How does that happen exactly? I thought it was sexual intercourse that did it, but apparently not.

"Fall pregnant" indeed, ... ffs.

:roll:

I know, it's not clear.

I just can't believe that with sex education and contraception so easily available, so many young girls still get pregnant. I know there will always be unplanned pregnancies, but I can't get my head around why young girls would want to have the responsibility of looking after a child when they could be enjoying a few years of just being young themselves.

But equally I cannot understand why women would want to have children in their late 30s and 40s....never an ideal time I guess!

Archived