Why are young kids getting pregnant

What's this term "fall pregnant" all about?

It's just been used three times now on Child Of Our Time with reference to young mothers. Even the well respected fertility expert Lord Winston has just referred to the numbers of young girls that "fall pregnant".

How does that happen exactly? I thought it was sexual intercourse that did it, but apparently not.

"Fall pregnant" indeed, ... ffs.

:roll:

cringe :hihi:

i find it frustrating when young kids think its a trend to be honest

It's gone on for years. Free council house and benefits. A lot of (not all before the lynch mob jump on me) just see kids as a cash generator these days.

Why else would we have people with 10+ kids that the state has to provide for?

What's this term "fall pregnant" all about?

It's just been used three times now on Child Of Our Time with reference to young mothers. Even the well respected fertility expert Lord Winston has just referred to the numbers of young girls that "fall pregnant".

How does that happen exactly? I thought it was sexual intercourse that did it, but apparently not.

"Fall pregnant" indeed, ... ffs.

:roll:

It is an idiomatic expression which has been used for donkeys' years in some parts of Britain. There's no need to read anything too deep into it. It doesn't necessarily mean to get pregnant unintentionally, either. It simply connotes becoming/getting pregnant, full stop.

In the part of Yorkshire where I grew up, you'll hear women who want/are planning to have a baby say things like 'I'm hoping I'll fall pregnant'

Is it a criminal offence if the other person is also under 16?

Yes. The age of criminal responsibility for a child is age 10.

But the Sexual Offences Act 2003 might provide otherwise in cases of sexual intercourse between children.

See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/contents

Sections 9-13 and 15-19 speak only of a defendant aged 18 or over.

Very often it is the most vulnerable young women who get pregnant at an early age. They are subject to competition just like all of us, but poverty and lack of opportunity can be a factor that denies choice.

Young women with few opportunities often feel that to compete they have to be sexually active, like young men from similar economically marginalised localities who can only compete by hyper masculine behaviours - a readiness to become violent and seeking wide sexual experience.

Young people, all people perhaps, in marginalised communities have fewer choices and little with which to compete. Middle class people engage in competitive behaviours - expressing their achievement via expensive clothes, prestige cars, academic achievement, pretty houses... poor people have little other than their own bodies with which to express their status. So, teenage pregnancy, and all the attendant difficulties, are yet another circumstance that falls hardest upon the poorest in our community.

Very often it is the most vulnerable young women who get pregnant at an early age. They are subject to competition just like all of us, but poverty and lack of opportunity can be a factor that denies choice.

Young women with few opportunities often feel that to compete they have to be sexually active, like young men from similar economically marginalised localities who can only compete by hyper masculine behaviours - a readiness to become violent and seeking wide sexual experience.

Young people, all people perhaps, in marginalised communities have fewer choices and little with which to compete. Middle class people engage in competitive behaviours - expressing their achievement via expensive clothes, prestige cars, academic achievement, pretty houses... poor people have little other than their own bodies with which to express their status. So, teenage pregnancy, and all the attendant difficulties, are yet another circumstance that falls hardest upon the poorest in our community.

And the debate starts sensibly....

Archived