Car Tax Dilemma

woah

It is the first time, yes - the VIC check is something I'm booking soon but it is difficult to get to when working.

See the following document - under the title "When is a VIC needed?" and you can see that you can legally drive the car:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/VIC%20leaflet%20(English)%20April%202012.pdf

It also says the following in the link you provided.

Note:

If you buy a car without a V5C or that requires a VIC, you may

not be able to tax or register the car until the car has passed a VIC.

And if you drive it on Friday without a tax disk displayed the car is not legal for road use is it. If you can't tax it online i don't see how the post office will tax it either.

I thought you were permitted 5 days (I think it was) past the Tax expiry date?

No, if you tax online you get 5 days in which to display it in case its held up in the post but you have to buy it before the previous one expires.

I don't think you can tax a car before it has had a VIC done.

Your chances of being stopped while you're driving around are pretty remote.

There's more chance of being picked up by an ANPR and getting the fine in the post a week later.

I like the ANPR system on the Mersey Tunnel. Go in one side and if you have any infractions the police are waiting at the other side for you!

Archived