Headlice a big problem

Apparently, they like the hair as clean as possible, they don't cling as well to dirty or greasy hair (hence why treatments are oily, enabling you to comb them out)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

According to this, (Top 10 Myths About Head Lice) Head lice don’t care if hair is long, short, clean, dirty, they can’t jump, hop, swim, or fly, all they need is head to head contact and a little time to walk from one head to the other.

Apparently, they like the hair as clean as possible, they don't cling as well to dirty or greasy hair (hence why treatments are oily, enabling you to comb them out)

Put some Jasmine hair oil on their hair, my mum used to when we were younger and we didn't get any nits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Put some Jasmine hair oil on their hair, my mum used to when we were younger and we didn't get any nits.

My daughters old school recommended putting olive oil on the hair once a day... I didn't fancy that myself, would be a pain to wash out. I remember as a kid once pouring baby oil on my hair, and my God it was a mess for days :hihi:

Luckily, the school my daughters at now doesn't seem to have any issues at all with head lice, my younger child brought them home from a party I think!

(Touch wood)

My daughter has not caught headlice from school yet, she bought a letter home yesterday which informed us someone in her class has them. I got the comb and conditioner straight out, she was clean. I always check my kids hairs , better that then sharing them round family. lol

Get a Neem/Tea tree oil based shampoo and conditioner. It stops the reproductive cycle of the lice using natural ingredients. The oils are also a deterrent to them. You can use the conditioner with a lice comb to get the lice out.

We had big problems with our boys and girls repeatedly coming home from school having picked them up. Using the neem based products brought it control and we never had any issues since. You have to keep using the neem products long-term though.

Some of the products can be pricey but then we discovered this which works just as well as the expensive ones:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dr-johnsons-repellent-head-lice-shampoo_1_12176.html

Home Bargains sometimes have it in for about two quid

sorry to have to say this but if nits are reoccurring you should strip the bedding off and wash after each treatment and even scrub around the seams of the mattress because the nits and lice can hang around

my daughter comes home from school every week with headlice, this is really annoying im treating my daughter with the headlice treatment every week without fail, and each week im treating her shes coming back with them, we have contacted the school informing them of the problem they have sent numerous letters out to parents asking them to treat there children if nessacary, but this seems to be a ongoing big problem so some children arent getting treatment that they need to get rid of the headlice its so frustrating as a mother that treats the headlice on a weekly basis and then the it starts all over again anyone have this problem its really annoying

Have you thought about changing what you treat them with? I had this problem & when I changed the product I used we finally got rid of them. In between the treatments I recommend tea tree shampoo & conditioner. You can get it from Holland and Barrett, bit pricey but the cheaper version you get from Boots never seems to have much tea tree in it!

I have to say that far from the idea that "they can't live if they're not actually on heads" we once had some that lasted over a week in one of those bug catching pots with a magnifying glass on the top so I'd recommend washing towels & pillow cases too!

And brushes & combs too! In fact I pour a bit of boiling water over the brushes and combs. Make sure they don't melt!

Have you thought about changing what you treat them with? I had this problem & when I changed the product I used we finally got rid of them. In between the treatments I recommend tea tree shampoo & conditioner. You can get it from Holland and Barrett, bit pricey but the cheaper version you get from Boots never seems to have much tea tree in it!

I have to say that far from the idea that "they can't live if they're not actually on heads" we once had some that lasted over a week in one of those bug catching pots with a magnifying glass on the top so I'd recommend washing towels & pillow cases too!

Yes, I think they're quite hardy wee buggers Irene. My daughter was plagued with them for what seemed like years even if it was only months. I used to get a great deal of satisfaction in cracking the big ones between my fingernails - and it takes some doing.

Archived