Mappin Gallery??

Can anyone tell me why the Mappin Gallery in Weston Park no longer exists when it was a bequest to the people made in the 1880's,and here is the nub,IN PERPETUITY!?

Dictionary definition of PERPETUITY n. FOR EVER!!

Many of us have asked the same question since the museum reopened as a playground. One wonders if what has happened is legal? Would love to hear more on this.

I wonder if visitors to the museum have increased since it's revamp. If visitor numbers are up then that surely is a good thing as it means the place will remain open. I don't know what has happened to all the pictures as art has never really been my thing but if I was curious I would approach the council and ask them

Many of us have asked the same question since the museum reopened as a playground. One wonders if what has happened is legal? Would love to hear more on this.
It would be very interesting to hear qualified legal opinion on this, though I'd be surprised if the Council could contravene the terms of the bequest without raising a storm of protest, and perhaps legal challenges. It seems that John Newton Mappin left his works of art to the city, and he also left money to build a gallery to house them. The gallery was built, and the works of art presumably still belong to the city..:huh:

Archived