Why do people have to wait for a long time before going to trial?

It must be terribly stressful for people who are charged with an offence to have to wait months before their trial, especially if they can't afford bail - is their a limit to how long they must wait?

By the same token, just think of the stress their victims are going through

What brought the question to mind was the cases of abuse which date back to the sixties, can't mention names but some of the charged are so old it's a wonder they don't have heart attacks

Now I get your drift, I cannot really give a succinct answer TBH

I always thought it was to do with dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Just making sure that every little thing had been covered.

I was once involved in something, as a witness, the police were telling me the incident happened on a Tuesday, it was a Wednesday. I convinced them in the end but something like that can get the most serious of crimes aquitted.

Cressida, bail is not based on cost. No bail is based on monetary value, it's based on public safety, the suspects recidivism rate, whether he/she will flee/ appear at court, the probability of a long sentence following a serious crime and a whole plethora of other factors.

Archived