Why do people have to wait for a long time before going to trial?

Cressida, bail is not based on cost. No bail is based on monetary value, it's based on public safety, the suspects recidivism rate, whether he/she will flee/ appear at court, the probability of a long sentence following a serious crime and a whole plethora of other factors.

I knew about the safety issue but wasn't sure on the other factors:D

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 08:08 ----------

Don't forget that, for those that are guilty, time on remand counts as "time served" when it comes to a custodial sentence.

Yes I knew that, but if they are found to be innocent do they receive compensation?

Don't forget that, for those that are guilty, time on remand counts as "time served" when it comes to a custodial sentence.

Yes I knew that, but if they are found to be innocent do they received compensation?

Nope.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes sadly it does

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 13:56 ----------

I suppose it's better to wait a while than be hung the next morning as some suggest

Nah S2 some of them deserve to be hung the next morning, such as Huntley, & him that's killed those 2 policewomen I could go on.

Yes sadly it does

you would like people to be punished twice?

nah S2 some of them deserve to be hung the next morning, such as Huntley, & him that's killed those 2 policewomen I could go on.

would you like to wait until they were found guilty first or would you be happy to kill innocent people (maybe even your wife or partner) on the odd chance you got the wrong person this time but they might be found guilty of another crime another day so while we have them, lets kill them now?

Yes I knew that, but if they are found to be innocent do they receive compensation?

There is no such thing as being found innocent. It is highly unlikely that someone could get compensation, unless of course the police maliciously prosecuted someone (and this is very difficult to prove).

The only person I can think of who got compensation was Colin Stagg who was accused of killing Rachel Nickell (sp) but it may have been because of entrapment, not certain

Yep that's right. It's an abuse of process, and an abuse of his Article 6 human rights (right to a fair trial).

Interestingly, Sheffield Judges aren't that keen on the European Court. HHJ Bentley, when sentencing a client of mine, commented that "if you think I'm going to pay any attention whatsoever to those people over the channel, you're going to be very disappointed", before completing ignoring an Article 6 point.

Archived