What was the Corn Exchange?

B Fox

Hillsbro.

The bridges brought back memories!

I remember when i left grammer school catching my bus home and just around the Duram Ox opening the window and slinging my school cap over onto the railway.

For all i know it might still be there!

Keep it comming it`s interesting.

Southfork.

I remember my father telling me about the City Goods Station, in which wagons were raised and lowered on hydraulic lifts, as trains came in from the Nunnery area and the tracks were at a higher level than the street. The goods station must have been adjacent to the Corn Exchange, on the north side of Broad Street; it is marked on this map.

Hi Hillsbro, I note that City Station is to the west of Pond Street/ Shude Hill on the map. From my 1991 AZ street atlas it would appear therefore to be around the area north of Dixon Lane which of course is where the old markets were. Dixon Lane is of course a continuation of Broad Street and is to the west of Pond Street whilst Broad Street is to the east.. Still near the Corn Exchange though. I have no knowledge of the railway goods stations on the map. Do you feel I have this is correct?

Hi PeterR - the City Station was on the north side of Broad Street - I've indicated it with a red arrow on this map. The Corn Exchange was just off the map to the left (on the other side of Wharf Street). Where we used to sit on the wall trainspotting (complete with notebooks, duffel bags, bottles of tizer and egg sandwiches) is just off the map to the north-east (blue arrow). When I look for maps, why are the bits I want always just off the edge?.:P

Hi southfork - Ah, so it was YOUR cap I found when I was dared to climb down to the railway line in 1961...;)

Hi PeterR - the City Station was on the north side of Broad Street - I've indicated it with a red arrow on this map. The Corn Exchange was just off the map to the left (on the other side of Wharf Street). Where we used to sit on the wall trainspotting (complete with notebooks, duffel bags, bottles of tizer and egg sandwiches) is just off the map to the north-east (blue arrow). When I look for maps, why are the bits I want always just off the edge?.:P

Hi southfork - Ah, so it was YOUR cap I found when I was dared to climb down to the railway line in 1961...;)

Hi Hillsbro, I mistook Pond Street on the other map as the actual street rather than the rail line :confused: Can locate where it all was now with the aid of my 1991 AZ street atlas.

Never did go trainspotting but have re-collected in recent years all the Hornby Dublo I had in the early fifties and the lineside stations etc that I couldn't afford then 'like ya do' :) With regard to maps, I always keep a lookout for a 1950's AZ street guide if such a beast exists, or similar.

The fire was in Jan/Feb 1947. Can't remember what the cause was but it occured in the coldest part of a very extreme winter.

The Fire Brigade: Yes! that's what they were called back then, had a hell of a time fighting it. Huge icicles hung from the building for days after.

The Registry Office had been using the main hall which was totally destroyed, leaving them homeless. That is, until they found the place on Surrey Street.

Some of the other business around the outside of the building kept going until the demolition: Remember Kidders Cafe and the Maunche P.H. The cellars underneath were in use until the end as well.

Don't forget the Boatmen's Mission and Sunday School that was also in the building.

Regards

I remember the Boatmen's Mission, I went there in the late 40's. The main attraction was a full size snooker table and I was taught to play snooker there by a great old fella. (can't remembeer his name but he was a gentleman.)

I remember the Boatmen's Mission, I went there in the late 40's. The main attraction was a full size snooker table and I was taught to play snooker there by a great old fella. (can't remembeer his name but he was a gentleman.)

lol got confused for a second then, thought old fella meant YOUR dad, but couldn't remember his name lol

*rubs eyes*

Hi Falls - it's interesting to have this background information..:thumbsup:

I can just remember trainspotting on Bernard Road, where there was always a bunch of trainspotters sitting on the wall as you could see both the ex-Midland and ex-Great Central lines. In Bernard Road is off the picture to the left. The upper bridge is Navigation Hill, and below this is the bridge that carried the tracks into City Station. Going along Blast Lane and Navigation Hill I remember seeing fruit & vegetable warehouses, perhaps one or more of these belonged to the Frank Williams firm that Clue Less refers to in post #24. Needless to say the two bridges in the photo have have disappeared; the Supertram line goes where Navigation Hill was, but this

Hi Hillsbro

I probably didn't explain myself correctly, the Frank Williams I refer to was situated in Castlefolds Market fronting onto Sheaf Street. Directly opposite the Corn Exchange, the two warehouses I refered to can be seen on the photo shown on Picture Sheffield, reference number s00290 ( sorry I can't post the link, spam security won't allow it until I have posted 5 times).

As you look at the Corn Exchange on this photo the two warehouses I refered to are contained in the two arches to the immediate right of the central tower.

The corn exchange at this time( early 1950's) had been subject to fire and the central area was demolished and a court yard had been created in the central area of the building. The banana ripening rooms were contructed in half of this area and were accessed from the entrance on Broad Street.

I remember my mother telling me that she married my father at the Corn Exchange in 1942,could this be true was this the place of the registrar in those days?.:confused::help:

Yep, its true OK. My mum and dad were married there in 1936.

Archived