Should poor people really have children?

Do you think people who are on benefits or very low income have kids If they can't afford to bring them up without benefits?

Ok people loose their jobs etc through no fault of their own but I am talking about people who are already on the breadline.

Personally I think they shouldnt get any handouts if they are already claiming benefits when they get a bun in the oven

Depends what benefits you mean... JSA/income support type benefits, or tax credits/housing benefits to top up an incoming wage that is not necessarily VERY low, but maybe only one parent working due to them having a child already or one or both of the couple only being able to currently find part time work?

I think you can earn up to 16k a year (not that low) and claim benefits.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I am talking about out of work benefits really in the main.

So your claiming Benefit as you dont work and you get pregnant. I think that's wrong, why should the state pay for something you can't afford in the first place without help from taxpayers

I am talking about out of work benefits really in the main.

So your claiming Benefit as you dont work and you get pregnant. I think that's wrong, why should the state pay for something you can't afford in the first place without help from taxpayers

Ideally the state shouldn't.

I would rather we did pay though.

My thoughts are that people who do have kids to avoid work and stay on benefits are in the minority and the safety net needs to stay because even if there are ten abusers of it for every genuine case, better we catch them all than risk genuine need going without the basics.

Maybe having no extra money to pay for another child might put people off having one, but it wouldn't all of them. Theres the catholics for example, who are against contraception and terminations, and I'm sure probably more religions than just them without looking it up.

The people that are not put off, I guess the government have a 'duty of care' for - imagine a couple with 3 or 4 children all living on a standard couple JSA payment with no extras. No child benenfit and no tax credits etc etc one shared house rate of housing benefit. Maybe they shouldnt have had the kids, but they DID. Is it right to force the kids to suffer?

Maybe having no extra money to pay for another child might put people off having one, but it wouldn't all of them. Theres the catholics for example, who are against contraception and terminations, and I'm sure probably more religions than just them without looking it up.

The people that are not put off, I guess the government have a 'duty of care' for - imagine a couple with 3 or 4 children all living on a standard couple JSA payment with no extras. No child benenfit and no tax credits etc etc one shared house rate of housing benefit. Maybe they shouldnt have had the kids, but they DID. Is it right to force the kids to suffer?

Hi Leah-Lacie, while I get what you're driving at I would find it almost impossible for a couple with 3 or 4 kids, not to be getting cot pension (CHB), or CTC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Hi Leah-Lacie, while I get what you're driving at I would find it almost impossible for a couple with 3 or 4 kids, not to be getting cot pension (CHB), or CTC.

Yes I know its not possible.

But what eckolad is suggesting is that it SHOULD NOT be and couples should get NO EXTRA BENEFITS if they chose to have a.child whilst out of work (on JSA) x

Do you think people who are on benefits or very low income have kids If they can't afford to bring them up without benefits?

I could say that I agree in part, but even parents on £40,000 get child benefits, in the form of child benefit and tax credits; perhaps they dont need all those benefits?

Ok people loose their jobs etc through no fault of their own but I am talking about people who are already on the breadline.

Personally I think they shouldnt get any handouts if they are already claiming benefits when they get a bun in the oven

In a word no I do not understand why when we have a population of the world at 7 billion at least should those who cant afford to have kids have them. It only means the taxpayers have to foot the bill.

Do you agree with those in work being assisted to have children eg free IVF etc?

Archived