Should poor people really have children?

At what age should they become independent of their parents?

It doesn't matter. At the point they do, that's when the parents have succesfully raised a child.

And should their parents remain independent of them?

Until they are old and need their children to provide for them.

Ah, no. You've got it completely wrong.

We should all contribute to producing and nurturing the next generations. It's a good use of taxation. I don't doubt there are some irresponsible parents - not everybody is perfect and of course any welfare system will not be perfect either. Every welfare system creates perverse incentives in some way.

What I would like to see is evidence that the problem being discussed is a real problem in this country. Nobody can produce any evidence though. But imagine if they could and it turned out that 0.1% of benefit spend was wasted in this way then I would suggest that you should move on and worry about something else, accepting this as a rough edge to the benefits system of which there will be many.

Provide some evidence and let's discuss it.

Now you're just having a laugh.

We're not talking about a good use of taxation. Training, education and job provision is a good use of taxation. Healthcare and keeping people safe is a good use.

Providing for people who have children irresponsibly and can't be bothered to financially provide for them is not.

That's not evidence. That's right wing press articles that feed your prejudices. Even the telegraph one is nutty - read the first comment after the article.

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 13:46 ----------

Now you're just having a laugh.

We're not talking about a good use of taxation. Training, education and job provision is a good use of taxation. Healthcare and keeping people safe is a good use.

Providing for people who have children irresponsibly and can't be bothered to financially provide for them is not.

But how widespread is this problem? You don't seem to know.

That's not evidence. That's right wing press articles that feed your prejudices. Even the telegraph one is nutty - read the first comment after the article.

You need to climb out of your ivory tower if you want evidence; my guess is you will only believe it when you see it for yourself.

You need to climb out of your ivory tower if you want evidence; my guess is you will only believe it when you see it for yourself.

I'm not in an ivory tower, just a little baffled that a succession of posters on this thread cannot provide any solid evidence to back up their arguments. It should be easy shouldn't it?

As stated above I've no doubt the benefits system is abused by some. I'm just curious as to what the level of abuse is in the context of this argument. Like I said if it was miniscule then there are other much more important things to worry about - how to control the housing benefits bill and how to meet rising pensions costs are examples.

I'm not in an ivory tower, just a little baffled that a succession of posters on this thread cannot provide any solid evidence to back up their arguments. It should be easy shouldn't it?

As stated above I've no doubt the benefits system is abused by some. I'm just curious as to what the level of abuse is in the context of this argument. Like I said if it was miniscule then there are other much more important things to worry about - how to control the housing benefits bill and how to meet rising pensions costs are examples.

What would you like us to do, go round the neighbours and ask them for a statement, and maybe take some pictures of them? :huh:

I could take you to at least a dozen families that keep having children despite never working. Each generation does the same, at 15/16 they start having children and the cycle continues.

What would you like us to do, go round the neighbours and ask them for a statement, and maybe take some pictures of them? :huh:

I could take you to at least a dozen families that keep having children despite never working. Each generation does the same, at 15/16 they start having children and the cycle continues.

No mate, I don't want anecdotal evidence. We could all probably identify somebody who we thought was popping out kids for benefits.

I want solid evidence that shows how much of welfare spend is wasted by people doing this. I suspect it is going to be a miniscule percentage of the total but I'm happy to be proven wrong. And all that will take is some proper evidence. Not seen any yet.

No mate, I don't want anecdotal evidence. We could all probably identify somebody who we thought was popping out kids for benefits.

I want solid evidence that shows how much of welfare spend is wasted by people doing this. I suspect it is going to be a miniscule percentage of the total but I'm happy to be proven wrong. And all that will take is some proper evidence. Not seen any yet.

The likes of MrSmith don't 'do' real facts. They prefer to rely on very imprecise language, rumour, and their own sometimes frankly bizarre opinions.

Archived