My Cover Letters

Expand on your achievements more, tell them why you want to work for their company in particular. Employers are sick of hearing vague statements - everyone is ambitious, confident, assertive, dynamic and good in teams. It means nothing.

Give it more personality and back up your claims.

The decision maker will be unlikely to be handed the covering letter anyway. He/She will most likely (at best) have put half an hour aside to go through a pile of cv's/ application forms. The first 'sift through' will be simply checked for the basic criteria. The second sift is the vital one where a concise and to the point description will stand out much better than your autobiography.

Right made a few changes and softened certain sections so they are more concise, cheers guys.

I have taken out the confident bits to make me sound more normal and approachable instead of full of themselves, but things like this are suppose to be adverts so I need to be bigging myself to a certain extent and telling a few white lies, everyone does it.

Any way, we are all different and nobody will ever be happy everything.

Right made a few changes and softened certain sections so they are more concise, cheers guys.

I have taken out the confident bits to make me sound more normal and approachable instead of full of themselves, but things like this are suppose to be adverts so I need to be bigging myself to a certain extent and telling a few white lies, everyone does it.

Any way, we are all different and nobody will ever be happy everything.

We haven't seen your CV have we? You have only posted your covering letter. The CV and letter is supposed to be stating facts, phrased to fit the job. What do you mean by 'bigging myself'? I never told a white lie on mine and it rarely failed to get me an interview. I had mine tweaked by a professional CV agency as mine was three pages long even when bullet pointed. It might be worth getting your CV and covering letter professionally written.

You do not seem to have read or taken the advice in the professional help site I supplied a link for in your other thread on the subject of your CVs and covering letters.

I share the reservations expressed above about the letters you have reproduced here.

Spec Letter...

I write to you with vested interest to be considered for any customer facing positions you may have in store, which can provide me with Part-Time work on a permanent basis. To complement the selling points in this letter, I have enclosed a copy of my curriculum vitae and sincerely request to be kept in mind for any related vacancies.

I am currently seeking work in your organisation as it matches my passion to deliver excellent value and service in addition to selling products of personal significance. I have achieved a wealth of customer service experience, spanning a broad range of industries and have always added value wherever I have worked. I will maximise my transferable skills including my personal qualities and pride myself on a job well done.

While being ambitious, I still retain my core values by treating others with respect and always maintaining a good sense of humour. In contrast, I can be very assertive with excellent team playing and problem solving skills. Being quick to learn new skills and demonstrate product knowledge, I will understand information with a view to meeting objectives. I have also proven to be reliable, versatile and able to work autonomously.

To satisfy any curiosity, I am able to start work immediately and am more than happy to undergo any training required in order to be as fully prepared as possible for the role in hand. I welcome the chance to meet you personally to present my excellent social skills and to discuss with you in detail, the relevant skills I have for possible future vacancies.

Cover Letter...

The position you have advertised for the role of Menswear Sales Assistant is of great interest to me, I believe that I would be an excellent fit within your organisation based on the core vision of your mission statement and the quality of products you produce.

I am currently seeking work in your organisation as it matches my passion to deliver excellent value and service in addition to selling products of personal significance. I understand what is required to meet the job criteria and am convinced that I will add huge benefits in terms of revenue, dedication and public relations. I will maximise my transferable skills including my personal qualities and pride myself on a job well done.

While being ambitious, I still retain my core values by treating others with respect and always maintaining a good sense of humour. In contrast, I can be very assertive with excellent team playing and problem solving skills. Being quick to learn new skills and demonstrate product knowledge, I will understand information with a view to meeting objectives. I have also proven to be reliable, versatile and able to work autonomously.

To satisfy any curiosity, I am able to start work immediately and am more than happy to undergo any training required in order to be as fully prepared as possible for the role in hand. I welcome the chance to meet you personally to present my excellent social skills and to discuss with you in detail, the relevant skills I have for this life changing position.

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 21:09 ----------

I apply for lots of jobs so want a generic letter that still appeals to what I am applying for.

Least am trying that is all I can do.

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 21:19 ----------

My Customer Focussed CV...

PERSONAL PROFILE

A self motivated, versatile and multi skilled individual with a passion to serve the general public, seeking a career defining position which will utilise the key skills developed through my previous work experience.

 Extensive work experience gained across a wide range of customer service industries.

 Customer service skills awarded in retail, call centre operations and technical support.

 Vocational qualifications developed in hospitality, teaching and information technology.

 Active involvement with Voluntary Action Sheffield and Remploy Employment Services.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

2009 – Now Charity & Voluntary Work

To keep busy, my time has been spent doing a range of work based initiatives, while volunteering my assistance for Heeley City Farm, BTCV, Sheffield Wildlife Trust, Age UK and British Heart Foundation.

2010 – 2011 The Vox Centre | Front of House

In a role blending all aspects of hospitality and catering, my duties were executed in a busy food hub, combining fastidious customer service, efficient timekeeping, communication and multitasking skills.

 Welcoming diners, taking orders, up-selling items and cash handling.

 Food preparation, designing menus and maintaining par excellence.

 Maintaining dining areas, waiting at tables and catering for functions.

2009 – 2010 Comet Electrical Store | Sales Advisor

While developing my customer facing skills and retail experience, I called on personal knowledge in technology and public service to aid the store in meeting customer needs and achieving sale targets.

 Advertising goods and performing product demos to potential buyers.

 Boosting store profits by up-selling a range of add-ons and services.

 Merchandising consumer electronics, stock control and warehousing.

2008 – 2009 Sheffield City College | Teaching Assistant

In conjunction with college, I provided educational support for Birley Spa Primary School by working in partnership with teachers and support workers and playing a pivotal role in all school based activities.

2003 – 2008 Sheffield Co-operative Society | Supervisor

Prior to establishing myself in the main department store, I helped supervise two discount retailers and showed excellent leadership skills by helping to save one of the retail outlets from immediate closure.

 Supervising departments and providing excellent customer service.

 Point of sale operations, managing orders, transfers and deliveries.

 Staff delegation, cashing-up, key holding and handling store cards.

 Admin work, housekeeping and enforcing policies and procedures.

2001 – 2003 Tri-Tec Computer Training | Technical Support

In addition to my computer training, I provided practical technical solutions for Red Tape Studios and Rainbow Forge Primary School and demonstrated technical dexterity, teamwork and a passion to learn.

2000 – 2001 The Prince’s Trust | Project Coordinator

Personal development programme covering an extensive range of life skills and responsibilities, which allowed me to hone my organisational skills and demonstrate a conscientious attitude towards work.

 Organising a number of events, expeditions and community projects.

 Fundraising, media work and personally hosting award presentations.

 Working with others in building relationships with local communities.

1999 – 2000 Cybercentre Amusements | Customer Advisor

While working for a busy amusement arcade, I was responsible for all customer service operations and deployed excellent people skills by resolving customer enquiries and providing welcoming hospitality.

 Fronting information desks, cash handling and assisting consumers.

 Servicing arcade machines, housekeeping and dealing with security.

 Handling telephone calls, replenishing stock and promoting releases.

EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS

2012 Sheffield City College

 BTEC Level 1 | Retail Work Skills

 ICM Level 2 | Call Centre Skills

 EDEXCEL Level 1 | Employability Skills

2011 The Vox Centre

 City & Guilds Level 1 | Hospitality & Catering

2009 Sheffield City College

 CACHE Level 2 + Distinction | Educational Support

2003 Tri-Tec Computer Training

 NOCN Level 3 | Understanding & Maintaining PC Hardware

 City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 | Installing & Supporting IT Systems

2001 The Prince’s Trust

 City & Guilds Award in Profile of Achievement

 NVQ in Key Skills Level 1 | Communication & Personal Skills

1999 Morthyng Limited

 OCR Level 3 | Numeracy & Information Technology Skills

1996 Birley Secondary School

 GCSE O’ Levels achieved in Science and Art & Design.

INTERESTS & ACTIVITIES

Being interested in nature and history, I enjoy hiking outdoors and visiting museums with active involvement in film groups and arts classes. To relax, I enjoy cooking, reading and listening to music with further interests in current affairs and information technology. Being pro-active, I am currently involved with Voluntary Action Sheffield, which allows me to pursue local community work and personal development opportunities.

REFERENCES

Available if required.

Archived