My Cover Letters

I would still reduce the word content of both by at LEAST 30% and strive to make them considerably less verbose. You have to remember you only get a few fleeting seconds of someone's time to make it to the next stage and any potential employer is looking for any excuse to ditch your application in favour of the other six hundred they may have received.

I've also got to agree with TJC's comments: everyone's heard the same personal hyperbole a thousand times. In return, you could perhaps add one single statement that dynamically sets you apart from others with an achievement that's directly related to the job you're applying for!

Don't give them the opportunity to dismiss you. If in doubt, keep it really simple! :)

I'm with Karis, your covering letter still makes you seem full of yourself, there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to you to be considered for any customer facing positions you may have in store, for Part-Time work on a permanent basis.

I am hard working, reliable and concientious, eager to learn new skills and I get on well with people at all levels. I enclose a copy of my Curriculum Vitae for your perusal.

I am available for interview at any time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours

xxxxxxx

ENC

I am writing to you to be considered for any customer facing positions you may have in store, for Part-Time work on a permanent basis.

I am hard working, reliable and conscientious, eager to learn new skills and I get on well with people at all levels. I enclose a copy of my Curriculum Vitae for your perusal.

I am available for interview at any time and I look forward to hearing from you.

This is perfect, although I'd personally remove "I am hard working, reliable and conscientious, eager to learn new skills and I get on well with people at all levels" and possibly replace it with something directly related to the job in question!

But otherwise exactly what you want to say :)

This is perfect, although I'd personally remove "I am hard working, reliable and conscientious, eager to learn new skills and I get on well with people at all levels" and possibly replace it with something directly related to the job in question!

But otherwise exactly what you want to say :)

Sorry Karis I meant to say that was a spec approach, for advertised vacancy you are quite right. It seldom failed to get me interview when I was looking for work and the CV and you selling yourself does the rest. Thankfully it's 9 years since I needed to look for work.

Sorry Karis I meant to say that was a spec approach, for advertised vacancy you are quite right. It seldom failed to get me interview when I was looking for work and the CV and you selling yourself does the rest. Thankfully it's 9 years since I needed to look for work.

Yep. You're totally right. I was trying to be (overly) helpful and completely forgot that was the non-spec application! :) :)

Your construct is terrible. I woudn't go anywhere near you and I have employed a good few people in my time. That could be my loss but I doubt it somehow.

Well to be honest, why reply then, I am not a rocket scientist!

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 22:47 ----------

I'm with Karis, your covering letter still makes you seem full of yourself, there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Dear Sir or Madam

I am hard working, reliable and concientious, eager to learn new skills and I get on well with people at all levels. I enclose a copy of my Curriculum Vitae for your perusal.

Yours

xxxxxxx

ENC

That is rather brief, would sending that as a Spec Letter look like I had not made any effort?

Archived