My Cover Letters

What would you lose exactly?

Also, think about it from the employers perspective, put yourself in their shoes. They probably get a lot of generic letters, where it looks like someone has just sent them out willy-nilly, hoping to get lucky. Not really tailored to a specific company, and it makes the prospective employee look lazy, and suggest they have no real interest in the company, because they just couldn't be bothered to expend any more effort than a one-size-fits-all letter that they spam every company with.

Also, better not to explicitly state that you're confident (or any other positive trait, for that matter); far better to quietly demonstrate that you are, through your conduct and communication.

Yes but waffle and bragging always go straight in bin. My concise letter got me very many interviews and for advertised vacancies I tried to find name of person if I didn't know it and tailored letter to suit actual vacancy but in essence it was same letter because they have all info on CV and don't have time to read it twice. Thankfully I haven't had to job hunt for last nine years:D

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 08:48 ----------

that letter will get you an interview, your letter will not - clear enough for you?

Thank you - yippee we agree on something:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Like alicebb said and I now have to agree having seen the second version... you don't seem to have taken anything on board that anyone is saying. Maybe you are genuinely struggling with that and if so, go to a community centre job club that offers help with CV's. But a perfect example has now been provided to you above. Use that.

On another note, your CV also needs re-doing. There is nothing factual with regards your achievements in each role. It's all generic statements about how good you are. Anyone can say anything about themselves using words like that. What you need is detail about the specific duties you performed, highlighting only those that relate to the job you are applying for. And then if you have any notable achievements, highlight those in a factual matter and not a trumpet-blowing fanfare of "I, I, I"

Remember though, sending off your generic CV to loads of jobs will get you nowhere. Quality over quantity.

You could certainly cut down the education section of your C.V. depending on the role you are applying for as not all those qualifications will be relevant for each role.

And in some cases I wouldn’t put them at all even when the are relevant. For example you have worked in a shop before therefore you don't need to mention your BTEC Level 1 in Retail Work Skills. Your work experience trumps that.

I would also lose “GCSE O’ Levels achieved in Science and Art & Design.” These aren't really relevant for the type of work your going for. The only GCSEs I would mention would be if you had a A-C in English and/or Math.

There is one advantage to your C.V. and covering letter - your giving other job seekers a better chance at getting their foot through the door. Take on the advice given, if you really can't sort out the C.V. and letter then get advice from someone who can.

Well to be honest, why reply then, I am not a rocket scientist!

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 22:47 ----------

That is rather brief, would sending that as a Spec Letter look like I had not made any effort?

You've only got literally seconds and more often than not the covering letters aren't even more than glanced over. It's the CV that needs to make an impact and you need to make them really snappy as, again, an employer will be looking for any reason to bin your CV.

I would still reduce the word content of both by at LEAST 30% and strive to make them considerably less verbose. You have to remember you only get a few fleeting seconds of someone's time to make it to the next stage and any potential employer is looking for any excuse to ditch your application in favour of the other six hundred they may have received.

I've also got to agree with TJC's comments: everyone's heard the same personal hyperbole a thousand times. In return, you could perhaps add one single statement that dynamically sets you apart from others with an achievement that's directly related to the job you're applying for!

Don't give them the opportunity to dismiss you. If in doubt, keep it really simple! :)

Sure man, but it's not just the hyperbole. It's OK showing how great you are but telling without any evidence is not effective.

Honestly, As an employer / recruitment person or consultant I'd look at a cv (and I heard this just yesterday in fact from a recruitment consultant) and think these things:

what can this person do for me?

do you have the previous experience to do this 'specific' role?

what results have you have achieved in previous roles?

why do you want to work for this company in particular?

AVOID generic statements. Avoid generalisations. Avoid adjectives unless they are backed up with actual achievements and even then keep it to the point. Ambitious? why/how are you ambitious? good with teams? well, highlight a time you were successful in a team

conscientious? show us why you are so passionate about what you do.

Keep it brief and snappy. If a piece of experience is not transferable DON'T USE IT.

'I am this' 'I am that' - employers are immune to it! leave it out.

Jeez, people wonder why they apply for hundreds of jobs and get nowhere.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 15:20 ----------

Seriously the amount of CV's I get through with experience not applicable to the job would make your head spin!

Archived