My Cover Letters

For god sakes, what now, what is wrong with vested interest???

do you actually use those words in real life?

try this at Tesco next time your shopping

"I ask you with vested interest to pass me a joint of ham and I shall forthwith pay for it at the cash counter"

it`ll make the deli counter girls day.

How does this sound then...

I write to you with great interest to be sincerely considered for any customer facing roles you may have, which can provide me with Part-Time work on a permanent basis.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 21:50 ----------

Jesus H Christ!

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 21:52 ----------

Also, should the Cover Letter contain much more details than the Spec Letter in stating examples relevant to the advertised post?

Nobody but nobody says in a job letter "with vested interest"...that's what's wrong.

However I will say you have made a good improvement from the previous ones in cutting down the blather.

But why only part-time? You will need to tell them why you only want part-time, so either explain that or remove that line altogether. ie say you are at uni, have kids or whatever...in case they only have full-time jobs and thin you're lazy or on benefits and only want a few hours to top up. In the absence of explanation you leave them open to coming up with their own possible answers.

Also, still you're making generic statements and i'd just leave out all the 'i'm a good timekeeper, reliable, blah blah.....it means nothing and is backed up with nothing. The bits you had about working at the co-op were more factual.

This bit was good and i'd keep it in:

Having effective communication skills, I have helped resolve many issues by being diplomatic and was always commended at The Co-op for my problem solving skills. I showed excellent timekeeping and reliability by ensuring outlets were open for trade, where my hard work and initiative added value.

You're stating a (hopefully!) fact about the commendation which should be backed up in their reference if they seek it, and you explain why your quality of timekeeping is useful.

Nearly there!

PS Just start with:

I am writing with reference to any suitable vacancies you may have that match with my skills and experience as described on my attached CV.

I am needing Part-Time because I suffer with depression and cannot deal with Full-Time hours just yet.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 22:41 ----------

How is this, will this do for my Cover Letter as well...

I am writing with reference to any customer facing vacancies you may have that match with the relevant skills and experience as described on my attached curriculum vitae.

I am currently seeking work within your organisation as it matches my previous retail experience. My excellent social skills imply I can get on well with people at all levels.

Having effective communication skills, I have resolved many issues by being fair yet assertive and was always respected by The Co-op for my problem solving skills. My excellent timekeeping and reliability ensured that retail outlets were open for trade, which is where my hard working attitude and successful initiative added value.

Being flexible and eager to learn, I can start work immediately and am more than happy to undergo additional training, should it be required. I have enclosed a copy of my curriculum vitae for your consideration and am available for interview at any time.

I am needing Part-Time because I suffer with depression and cannot deal with Full-Time hours just yet.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 22:41 ----------

How is this, will this do for my Cover Letter as well...

I am writing with reference to any customer facing vacancies you may have that match with the relevant skills and experience as described on my attached curriculum vitae.I am currently seeking work within your organisation as it matches my previous retail experience. My excellent social skills imply I can get on well with people at all levels.

Having effective communication skills, I have resolved many issues by being fair yet assertive and was always respected by The Co-op for my problem solving skills. My excellent timekeeping and reliability ensured that retail outlets were open for trade, which is where my hard working attitude and successful initiative added value.

Being flexible and eager to learn, I can start work immediately and am more than happy to undergo additional training, should it be required. I have enclosed a copy of my curriculum vitae for your consideration and am available for interview at any time.

Much better but ditch that bit as you have said it twice and its better at end of letter

OK. Reality check. You've asked for opinions and there are some very clever people on here, some of whom deal in recruitment.

Now, from what I can see, you've been given some extremely helpful and particularly relevant advice, and ALL OF IT has asked you to cut this overly verbose application letter down to the bare minimum.

It's not contradictory or unhelpful, but rather quite specific. Denlin even gave you exactly what to say in your spec application letter, but you seem to have chosen to ignore that.

Obviously, it's up to you to decide what's right for you, but the advice here has been really rather spot on.

I would remember: you're sending out CVs to companies that haven't asked for your CV so I'd keep that in mind and keep the entirety of your CV and application letter really short, snappy, and to the point!

This Spec Letter sounds fine to me, but what do I know!

I write to you with great interest to be considered for any customer facing roles you may have, which can provide me with reliable Part-Time work on a permanent basis.

Based on your business and the quality of products you sell, I believe that I would be an excellent fit within your company as it matches personal knowledge and interests including my previous retail experience as described on my attached curriculum vitae.

At the Co-op, I developed excellent social skills by resolving difficult situations and getting on well with people at all levels. My reliability and dedication ensured outlets were open for trade, which is where my hard work and initiative added value. I have adapted easily to change when working on various departments and was valued by fellow colleagues for taking charge of situations and having an enthusiastic attitude.

Being flexible and eager to learn, I can start work immediately and will be more than happy to have any additional training, should it be required. I have attached a copy of my curriculum vitae for your consideration and am available for interview at any time.

Archived