Todays worker against yesteryears worker

30 years ago the working man could walk out of one job and into another, most of these jobs gave job security and for the chance to better oneself. fast forward 30 years and what chance has the working man/woman got today?

None at all. The sky is falling and we're all going to hell in a handcart.

Everything is dreadful and it's only going to get worse.

Happy now?

Another way of looking at it......I got sacked from my first job. They let me work all day, called me to the office at 5.o'clock, gave me my cards and holiday pay and that was that. Why:?: cos I had been late....3 times in a week. I should have clocked in by 8.50 but I had 8.51 and 8.52 twice......TOTAL 5 MINUTES. Would that happen today:?: I think not.

Another way of looking at it......I got sacked from my first job. They let me work all day, called me to the office at 5.o'clock, gave me my cards and holiday pay and that was that. Why:?: cos I had been late....3 times in a week. I should have clocked in by 8.50 but I had 8.51 and 8.52 twice......TOTAL 5 MINUTES. Would that happen today:?: I think not.
so in the first 3 days of you starting work and clocking in late you set a good example about wanting the job ? did this stop you from gaining further employment and if not how long did you stay in the job

I started working there a week after I left school. I had been there 3 years when there was a tram/bus strike. I walked to work most mornings and they didn't mind if you were late then so long as you got there. When the strike was over it took a while to get back into the swing of things and just unfortunate that that particular week it went wrong big time. The clock could have been wrong for all I know but had to accept that they weren't.....I did get another job pretty quickly you're right about that but my point was, a total of 5 minutes?......in a week?......would anyone get away with that these days? I suspect it would be against my human rights these days.......

I started working there a week after I left school. I had been there 3 years when there was a tram/bus strike. I walked to work most mornings and they didn't mind if you were late then so long as you got there. When the strike was over it took a while to get back into the swing of things and just unfortunate that that particular week it went wrong big time. The clock could have been wrong for all I know but had to accept that they weren't.....I did get another job pretty quickly you're right about that but my point was, a total of 5 minutes?......in a week?......would anyone get away with that these days? I suspect it would be against my human rights these days.......
you want to think yourself fortunate that before your mishap with your timekeeping you had a job for 3 years. what human rights do you think it would be against ?

30 years ago the working man could walk out of one job and into another, most of these jobs gave job security and for the chance to better oneself. fast forward 30 years and what chance has the working man/woman got today?

could they? IIRC early 80`s - time of strife and strike and high unemployment, if you had a job you held on to it

weak threads like this make me miss chem1st

You would be dismissed as the legislation on unfair dismissal only applies after a period of about a year.It has nothing to do with human rights as it is an employment issue.I hope you don't mind me correcting you.

None at all. The sky is falling and we're all going to hell in a handcart.

Everything is dreadful and it's only going to get worse.

Happy now?

im glad you can see whats happening but why do you think it makes me happy ?

In 1983 unemployment stood at a record 3.2 million and there was very little job security for many.

Archived