Todays worker against yesteryears worker

but do you think the working man is better off now than then ?ill give you an example part of our workforce is now made up of agency workers who are on zero contract hours. now to me this worker is not going to be given a chance when it comes to things like taking out a mortgage/etc .given he has no job security what chance does he have of the banks lending to him ? how many other workers are now working side by side with these temporary workers( he been here now 2 years) and the company still will not employ him :suspect:.

Things that a worker is guaranteed now :

Sick pay, holiday pay, maternity pay, paternity pay, lots of H & S legislation to protect them, sexual, age, racial, disability discrimination protection, minimum wage.

30 years ago you could get sacked on the spot. Apart from gunning down the boss I don't what you have to get instantly dismissed.

Sick pay, holiday pay, maternity pay, paternity pay, lots of H & S legislation to protect them, sexual, age, racial, disability discrimination protection, minimum wage.

30 years ago you could get sacked on the spot. Apart from gunning down the boss I don't what you have to get instantly dismissed.

what like this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345678/Making-easier-sack-bad-staff-Britain-work-claims-David-Cameron.html . thats the trouble with the h and s issue affecting the working man too its making him even less competative than world/european competitors they dont have the same setbacks we do. oh and if your an agency worker most of what you posted wont apply to them so yea great init

I started working there a week after I left school. I had been there 3 years when there was a tram/bus strike. I walked to work most mornings and they didn't mind if you were late then so long as you got there. When the strike was over it took a while to get back into the swing of things and just unfortunate that that particular week it went wrong big time. The clock could have been wrong for all I know but had to accept that they weren't.....I did get another job pretty quickly you're right about that but my point was, a total of 5 minutes?......in a week?......would anyone get away with that these days? I suspect it would be against my human rights these days.......

By the same token , I was an apprentice at Waldo's on Shalesmoor . I had to go to the Royal infirmary for a tetanus injection . The foreman told me I was to clock out . On my return the governor ( Max Waldenburg ) went mad . He signed my card and scrubbed out the stamp . A thorough going lovely gent . few to match in those days .Thank goodness they were not all the same .

what like this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345678/Making-easier-sack-bad-staff-Britain-work-claims-David-Cameron.html . thats the trouble with the h and s issue affecting the working man too its making him even less competative than world/european competitors they dont have the same setbacks we do.

Anywhere in European Union will be bound by exactly the same H&S directives we are.

All fought for by the trade union movement .

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 17:52 ----------

Anywhere in European Union will be bound by exactly the same H&S directives we are.

H&S regs have been set up for two reasons .

( 1 ) for the protection of the employer against the claim culture of today .

and :-

(2). For the protection of the employee who , in many instances , has been instructed by his boss to "get on with the bloody job or get out ".

There has always been a case history which gives rise to the regulation .

i wonder if some on here could shed some light on their working life during the times you say, or were they all unemployed :loopy:

Left school in 75 at Easter break, started work 3 days later @ WE Franklins, then after 3 years went down pit for 3 years. Then has 16 years at 2 different engineering shops, on machines & setting, & last 16 years in current job.

I've had 2 weeks on dole in 38 years, nowadays people want something for no input not got the same get & and go.

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 18:51 ----------

You can get instantly sacked a lot easier now, they have ensured that workers rights are all but eroded.

thats what you like to think mate ive worked in germany and seen it first hand. you missed out my bit about the rest of the world why?

I suspect that you may be somewhat misguided by some other motive in terms of your response . Can I recommend a number of recent cases where multinationals have flouted H&S regs. , to their financial consequences . To name but two - B.P. and Shell . Many of the smaller organisations tend not to be the subject of the international media spotlight . However, many of the U.K. ex -pats opt to work abroad in order to avoid the U.K. tax system . In doing so they tend to by-pass the safety standards in exchange for their financial benefits . It is not until they unfortunately experience an accident that they cry "foul" .

As I remarked earlier . One can not decry a man for trying to obtain the maximum remuneration for his employ .But he must accept the consequences .

Those H&S regs. are put there for a reason . However , I would suggest they are not to benefit willful or culpable negligence .

i wonder if some on here could shed some light on their working life during the times you say, or were they all unemployed :loopy:

Left school in 75 at Easter break, started work 3 days later @ WE Franklins, then after 3 years went down pit for 3 years. Then has 16 years at 2 different engineering shops, on machines & setting, & last 16 years in current job.

I've had 2 weeks on dole in 38 years, nowadays people want something for no input not got the same get & and go.

You can get instantly sacked a lot easier now, they have ensured that workers rights are all but eroded.

I'll take on board certain comments but I can say without doubt that last line is completely wrong unless you are an agency worker (as has been pointed out) or you pay someone off. If you can find evidence to the contrary, please show it.

nice to see someone who has had continious employment throught those terrible times . (i wonder if gym rat is reading this) :hihi:

Archived