Sunday eve, why is it boring ?

Oh happy days. I

I hate the fact that shops are open on Sunday, it has contributed to destroying family life in favour of consumerism 24/7. People need a break and families need time to do things together.

All well and good but not let get too nostalgic here.

Some people have always had to work on a Sunday even before the days of this supposed "mass consumerism".

Doctors, Nurses,Porters, pub and restaurant workers, fire service, bus, train and tube drivers, taxi drivers, BT and other telephone services, television and radio broadcast workers, banking operations and distribution workers..... none of that stops just because its Sunday.

Also lets not forget now we are in 2013 - for many in the great multicultural equal society Sunday means nothing. Its just a normal day.

Because of the interaction with the Far East my office is always open as normal on Sundays and to be honest it is very frustrating leaving after what's for me a normal working day at 5.00 and realising I cant pop to Sainsburys or nip into Debenhams just because some outdated religious nonsense says they cant open for longer than certain hours.

Lets be honest, its not like the masses are dashing off to church and huddling round Songs of Praise each Sunday. Its more likely dashing off to Ikea and hudding round Dancing on Ice.

Time for a change.

All well and good but not let get too nostalgic here.

Some people have always had to work on a Sunday even before the days of this supposed "mass consumerism".

Doctors, Nurses,Porters, pub and restaurant workers, fire service, bus, train and tube drivers, taxi drivers, BT and other telephone services, television and radio broadcast workers, banking operations and distribution workers..... none of that stops just because its Sunday.

Also lets not forget now we are in 2013 - for many in the great multicultural equal society Sunday means nothing. Its just a normal day.

Because of the interaction with the Far East my office is always open as normal on Sundays and to be honest it is very frustrating leaving after a normal working day at 5.00 and realising I cant pop to Sainsburys or nip into Debenhams just because some outdated religious nonsense says they cant open for longer than certain hours.

Lets be honest, its not the masses are dashing off to church and huddling round Songs of Praise each Sunday. Its more likely dashing off to Ikea and hudding round Dancing on Ice.

Time for a change.

I think people obsessed with shopping are the ones who are nonsensical,and those attending church are sensibly reflecting on the significance of spending money on oneself for little clear purpose.Do you really believe having a nail manicure or a Brazilian hair removal is a sensible use of one's time and money?

Only the OP can answer the question they pose. Why does the OP not do fun things on a Sunday evening?

Sunday evenings are one of the best times of the week for me. I get back from a long peak district walk, with just enough time to grab a shower and change, then head out for evening drinks in the local with a little "mini-buffet" of nibbles. Enough to get merry but not paralytic, and home in time for a not-too-late night ready for work on Monday morning

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 22:06 ----------

Not exactly boring (Sundays), but there's always that "Sunday feeling" that sets in after about 4pm. Can't ever seem to shake it. Somewhere in the back of my mind there's that nagging feeling that there's some homework that still needs doing. And I left school over 20 years ago........PTSD I reckon.

Ah..I know that one. I sometimes do wake up on Monday realising I haven't done any homework. And they I realise that it's true - I haven't - because I haven't been given any since 1991

..except for one night last year when I had a proplus & redbull night to meet a work project deadline

Oh happy days. I

I hate the fact that shops are open on Sunday, it has contributed to destroying family life in favour of consumerism 24/7. People need a break and families need time to do things together.

Shops don't force people to go out and visit them!

Shops don't force people to go out and visit them!

However they do compel people to work on Sundays.If they were shut there would be more scope for families to do something a little more imaginative than push a trolley round the supermarket.

I think people obsessed with shopping are the ones who are nonsensical,and those attending church are sensibly reflecting on the significance of spending money on oneself for little clear purpose.Do you really believe having a nail manicure or a Brazilian hair removal is a sensible use of one's time and money?

What? What are you talking about.

Im talking about the fact that after I work a full day on a sunday - which in my world is just a regular day like a Monday or Thursday - it would be nice to be able to get my groceries or buy a shirt when I want to not when the silly trading laws say I have to.

I dont get the stupid religious based laws stopping my company from opening all day on a Sunday. I have to work it just as normal so why should this outdated piece of crap apply soley to shops.

Fair? I doubt it.

Either ALL business should be closed down on a Sunday or it should ALL be allowed to open and operate as normal. Why should one sector be restricted to limited trading hours when others are not.

Why for example is it ok for convenience stores, petrol stations, services, pubs and restaurants to be open as normal but larger stores, shopping malls and supermarkets are limited to 6 hours? Compete hypocracy.

What? What are you talking about.

Im talking about the fact that after I work a full day on a sunday - which in my world is just a regular day like a Monday or Thursday - it would me nice to be able to get my groceries or buy a shirt when I want to not when the silly trading laws say I have to.

I dont get the stupid religious based laws stopping my company from opening all day on a Sunday. I have to work it just as normal so why should this outdated piece of crap apply soley to shops.

You poor man, my heart bleeds for you. Why not change your job ???

When I was in business it was pointed out to me that I worked more Sundays than the local Vicar. I ACTUALLY DID !! Every Sunday for 14 years [and every other day as well [exept Christmas Day only].

Now I never work Sundays...........lucky me.

I dont want to change my job. Its not the working sundays I have a problem with. Its the fact that only retailers are forced to close because of some silly regulations and I should be able to choose when the hell I want to shop or use a service.

Sunday Trading Restrictions they are called but nobody has actually pointed out to the minority god botherers the fact that other business are not restricted under the Regulations. They object to me buying a loaf of bread from a larger supermarket after 6 hours trading but seem to have absolutely no issue with me and my colleagues going into the office anytime we want to draft contracts on a £2.5 million property acquisition or buying £50 of fuel from a local BP service station.

How can that not be the same thing?? Trading is trading isnt it.

Scotland dont have to deal with this nonsense and they have not sunk in the the firey depths of hell.

Its time we got our heads sorted.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 01:03 ----------

But shops DO force people to go out and work in them

Everyone has a maximum working week and very few (if any) people will be forced to work a full 7 days.

Full sunday opening would create more job opportunities as more staff would be required to cover all shifts needed. Would that not be a good thing in these hard times?

I dont want to change my job. Its not the working sundays I have a problem with. Its the fact that only retailers are forced to close because of some silly regulations and I should be able to choose when the hell I want to shop or use a service.

Sunday Trading Restrictions they are called but nobody has actually pointed out to the minority god botherers the fact that other business are not restricted under the Regulations. They object to me buying a loaf of bread from a larger supermarket after 6 hours trading but seem to have absolutely no issue with me and my colleagues going into the office anytime we want to draft contracts on a £2.5 million property acquisition or buying £50 of fuel from a local BP service station.

How can that not be the same thing?? Trading is trading isnt it.

Scotland dont have to deal with this nonsense and they have not sunk in the the firey depths of hell.

Its time we got our heads sorted.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 01:03 ----------

Everyone has a maximum working week and very few (if any) people will be forced to work a full 7 days.

Full sunday opening would create more job opportunities as more staff would be required to cover all shifts needed. Would that not be a good thing in these hard times?

The rules may be silly but not when you allow your mood to be determined by the fulfillment or otherwise of trivial material wants.Get a freezer for food and a wardrobe for clothes.How do you think other people cope?Can I recommend the book of Ebeneezer,chapter 23 verse 42?

Archived