Any tips for stopping someone snoring?

I have someone staying with me for a while who snores really badly and can be heard all over the house. He has tried various chemist 'remedies' including some kind of gumshield but it is still happening. I am taking him along to the doctors soon but wondered if anyone had any suggestions in the meantime?

If you snore, these things can help:

(i) not sleeping on your back. Sew a toggle onto the back of the T shirt or pyjama top to make you turn over if you habitually sleep on your back

(ii) not drinking alcohol, especially to excess

(iii) burning a small incense candle in the bedroom

(iv) stop smoking

(v) lose weight, if you need to

Get him a job on nights, so he sleeps in the day and doesn't keep everybody else awake :D

He is out most of the day. He probably would work nights too if he could. The room opposite gets most of the noise and I get woken-up to do something about it.

Unfortunately for proper snoring there is no other solution than going to the doctors and there's no easy and fast answer either way round I'm afraid.

If your visitor pauses in breathing during the snoring then there's a great possibility that he has obstructive sleep apnoea and that can be treated very effectively with a CPAP machine, but that takes months to organise with an appointment for a sleep clinic and assessments.

The other treatments that are proven to work are mostly surgical, but again these take months.

Other than that you are really restricted to things like the old trick of sewing a tennis ball into the back of the pyjamas so that the snorer can't roll onto his back (since snoring is worse when lying on the back).

I'm with an OSA sufferer who had been snoring and wondering why he got really bad quality of sleep for years before we got together, and who only got it under control when I took him to the doctors and they referred him to the hospital for testing. He sleeps with a CPAP now and I don't need ear plugs in bed any more.

I'm sorry that there's no sure fire answer to the problem :(

If you snore, these things can help:

(i) not sleeping on your back. Sew a toggle onto the back of the T shirt or pyjama top to make you turn over if you habitually sleep on your back

(ii) not drinking alcohol, especially to excess

(iii) burning a small incense candle in the bedroom

(iv) stop smoking

(v) lose weight, if you need to

I snore when on my back too! I will suggest he tries that.

He doesn't drink.

Will try the incense too.

He isn't overweight but he is a bit 'thickset'.

Thanks.

I snore when on my back too! I will suggest he tries that.

He doesn't drink.

Will try the incense too.

He isn't overweight but he is a bit 'thickset'.

Thanks.

All sorts of decongestants may be of some help too, but I guessed that if he has been to the chemists he will already have tried that sort of thing.

One small word of caution with the incense candle thing. I have very small nasal passages which means that through all the time I was growing up and even now if I've got the slightest sniffle, I can't breathe through my nose when I'm lying down.

The 'solution' to this when I was growing up was to try to force me to breath with my mouth shut by putting a coal tar burner in the bedroom which would make me heave if I breathed the vapours through my mouth.

Not only did it make no difference, but it made me puke every night for month after month whilst it made no difference.

Pretty much the same applies to most people who snore, for whom the reason they snore is nothing to do with whether they can breathe through their nose. For them the problem is muscle tone in their airways when they go to sleep, and for that the candle will do nothing but is a fire risk and also an allergen.

Pretty much the same applies to most people who snore, for whom the reason they snore is nothing to do with whether they can breathe through their nose. For them the problem is muscle tone in their airways when they go to sleep, and for that the candle will do nothing but is a fire risk and also an allergen.

True, I had an ex partner who always breathed through his mouth whilst asleep, and he rarely snored. The breathing was a little loud but it was not snoring.

Archived