Any tips for stopping someone snoring?

All sorts of decongestants may be of some help too, but I guessed that if he has been to the chemists he will already have tried that sort of thing.

One small word of caution with the incense candle thing. I have very small nasal passages which means that through all the time I was growing up and even now if I've got the slightest sniffle, I can't breathe through my nose when I'm lying down.

The 'solution' to this when I was growing up was to try to force me to breath with my mouth shut by putting a coal tar burner in the bedroom which would make me heave if I breathed the vapours through my mouth.

Not only did it make no difference, but it made me puke every night for month after month whilst it made no difference.

Pretty much the same applies to most people who snore, for whom the reason they snore is nothing to do with whether they can breathe through their nose. For them the problem is muscle tone in their airways when they go to sleep, and for that the candle will do nothing but is a fire risk and also an allergen.

Coal tar? That makes me queasy just thinking about it. You poor thing.

And here I thought we had it bad because my grandmother insisted on a vaporizer thing with steam and Vicks. Not too bad but the hissing sound used to drive me nuts.

For snoring, maybe try Breathe Right strips. They really helped my husband. I no longer wake up and wonder who's mowing our lawn in the middle of the night. :hihi:

Put a peg on their nose ha ha that will stop them, no seriously I am a snorer and for anyone living with a snorer it is a nightmare you can have an operation in really serious cases on your adenoids I was considering having it done as my husband complains all the time I have been like it all my life since childhood i don't smoke I am not over weight I do not know why some people snore it is a mystery. :);)

I am moving the bedrooms around so that no-one sleeps in the room opposite him. His chronic snoring has stopped but he still snores. If he can't get it under control, he will have to find somewhere else to live.

I am moving the bedrooms around so that no-one sleeps in the room opposite him. His chronic snoring has stopped but he still snores. If he can't get it under control, he will have to find somewhere else to live.

Probably a good idea if he moves out straight away, then. - He might get some other chronic problem later on in life and he might be safer living in a less hostile environment.

To the OP:

Laser Palatoplasty works (fairly well) but I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the side-effects are fantastic! (I haven't had a cold or a sore throat in 17 years. :) .) The Post-OP recovery period is unpleasant.

There is (I believe) a modified form of the procedure which applies surgical 'dampers' to the soft membrane (reducing the incidence of the flutter which causes snoring.)

Sleep apnoea is a (potentially) life-threatening problem and if somebody does suffer from chronic snoring, it might be worth having that checked - if, of course, the national Elf has enough pocket money left to carry out the test.

CPAP machines are reckoned to be pretty good at reducing snoring. They are also very efficient contraceptive devices.

Archived