Pub landlord advice

Just after a bit of advice really. Have always thought that owning/managing a pub would be something I'd really enjoy but I don't know a great deal about it. I've looked at various companies like enterprise inn etc... but not sure what the best route to take is.

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All

Having worked in various pubs and clubs for 14 years, although, not for the last 10, the overwhelming advice I think you will hear in the current financial situation is, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

What seems a good idea, will end up ruining your health and your wealth.

Just have a look at how many pubs have shut down. If you have a pub or area in mind, check how many landlords/managers there have been in the last 5 years.

Jim

start off working in one so you will get an idea of how much work is required - it is hard work running a pub - lots of hours for not a lot of cash in most cases

enterprise tend to offer leases to tenants and charge a rent as well as forcing you to buy your drinks from them - often at inflated prices - you are self employed, so any profit you make is yours, but it is a difficult market for a lot of pubs

alternatively, once you have a bit of experience, try to get a job as a manager - you are an employee so you only get a wage rather than a share of the profits, but you won't end up going bankrupt if it all goes wrong!

wetherspoons is a good place to start

Not enterprise

Im a delivery driver and deliver all over sheffield area

We deliver little bits to enterprise when they run short but the prices the landlords have to pay for their beer is unbelievable and makes it practically impossible to make a living

Avoid the major pub cos, they have a tendency to shaft their managers.

I.e. high rents combined with them being the only allowed suppliers (or face a huge 'fine' .

For example a local pub to me the managers got fined several hundred pounds (or was it thousands..) for buying a bottle of lime cordial from the coop when they ran out and didn't have time to resuply.

The suppliers charge more than normal so you can't compete on price with other pubs and have to put the prices high on the drinks so you get less customers etc.

If by some astounding miracle of management you are so good that you manage to pull a profit despite them then your rent goes up.

Having worked in various pubs and clubs for 14 years, although, not for the last 10, the overwhelming advice I think you will hear in the current financial situation is, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

What seems a good idea, will end up ruining your health and your wealth.

Just have a look at how many pubs have shut down. If you have a pub or area in mind, check how many landlords/managers there have been in the last 5 years.

Jim

good advlce, the pub game is finished.

Not enterprise

Im a delivery driver and deliver all over sheffield area

We deliver little bits to enterprise when they run short but the prices the landlords have to pay for their beer is unbelievable and makes it practically impossible to make a living

i had a client a couple of years ago who ran a pub in the midlands - there were two pubs in the village - one was a free house and his was a leased pub (it wasn't enterprise, but they are all similar) - his competitor was selling beer (at normal mark up) for less than he could buy it from enterprise - he closed down about 6 months ago

good advlce, the pub game is finished.

I think it is good advice, but disagree about the pub game being finished. City centre pubs/bars will always exist, and they will always draw the crowds. As suburban pubs shut down, the city centre bars will thrive, although they will need to have something about them to keep going in a smaller market.

Certain suburban pubs/areas can do well. Where I am at Burncross; 10 years ago, 4 pubs. Today, 4 pubs.

1 of those 4 is freehold and just serves ale, and is very good at what it does.

2 others are "gastro" pubs or trying to be, and both are doing ok.

The fourth has had a high turnover of landlords/owners and always looks on the verge of closing, but right now it is open.

All depends on area and demand.

Jim