Pub landlord advice

The only way to make any money in that game nowadays is in a freehouse where you can buy from where you want. I ran a freehouse for five years and used to despair at the stories from the tenanted pubs, they had to pay almost double what I was paying and it's just the same story now.

I think it is good advice, but disagree about the pub game being finished. City centre pubs/bars will always exist, and they will always draw the crowds. As suburban pubs shut down, the city centre bars will thrive, although they will need to have something about them to keep going in a smaller market.

Certain suburban pubs/areas can do well. Where I am at Burncross; 10 years ago, 4 pubs. Today, 4 pubs.

1 of those 4 is freehold and just serves ale, and is very good at what it does.

2 others are "gastro" pubs or trying to be, and both are doing ok.

The fourth has had a high turnover of landlords/owners and always looks on the verge of closing, but right now it is open.

All depends on area and demand.

Jim

Different story at high green,stocksbridge,deepcar,green moor, the only busy pub in stocksbridge is the Red Grouse a Sam Smiths managed house with no music or tv licence.

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 17:12 ----------

Thanks for the advice all, How would you go about buying a free house?

The only free house you will be able to afford will be a run down one try the victoria at hepworth, thats up for sale.

In West Yorkshire?

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 17:15 ----------

Different story at high green,stocksbridge,deepcar,green moor, the only busy pub in stocksbridge is the Red Grouse a Sam Smiths managed house with no music or tv licence.

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 17:12 ----------

The only free house you will be able to afford will be a run down one try the victoria at hepworth, thats up for sale.

In West Yorkshire?

There's one going up at Mosborough.

Very hard work and, with the no smoking, don't think it would be successful.

Could be a viable proposition if you also had a restaurant.

Anyone with a bit of common can get round the no smoking without breaking the law.

There's one going up at Mosborough.

Very hard work and, with the no smoking, don't think it would be successful.

Could be a viable proposition if you also had a restaurant.

It depends where it is. The tap does very well and doesn't do food (to my knowledge) but it doesn't need to.

But avoid managing like the plague.