Pub landlord advice

Owning and running your own pub always seems like a dream job to people until they realize the work involved. It's bloody hard work. Seven days a week, fifty two weeks a year including Christmas & New Year. You can't just take a day off if you're not feeling well, and you've always got to put a welcoming face on !!

Holidays are out of the question unless you've got very trustworthy staff or relations who can run it for you. Then there's all the cellar work and book keeping on top.Also if you've got children, their whole life is affected too. You've got to be a certain kind of person to make it work, especially nowadays. I was brought up in the pub trade, in various very successful pubs but that was in the glory days of the 60s & 70s. I would say think very carefully before committing yourself, on the other hand it might suit you. Good luck for the future. :thumbsup:

Owning and running your own pub always seems like a dream job to people until they realize the work involved. It's bloody hard work. Seven days a week, fifty two weeks a year including Christmas & New Year. You can't just take a day off if you're not feeling well, and you've always got to put a welcoming face on !!

Holidays are out of the question unless you've got very trustworthy staff or relations who can run it for you. Then there's all the cellar work and book keeping on top.Also if you've got children, their whole life is affected too. You've got to be a certain kind of person to make it work, especially nowadays. I was brought up in the pub trade, in various very successful pubs but that was in the glory days of the 60s & 70s. I would say think very carefully before committing yourself, on the other hand it might suit you. Good luck for the future. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that advice, really do appreciate it :) I still think i'd enjoy it so i'm gunna look into it I think.

If you're feeling adventurous and wanna try something different why not tack on a micro-distillery/brewery to your pub.

Basically make and sell your own booze at your pub.

Not something I've seen before so it might bring some punters in?

I know a few landlords and ex landlords and the ex landlords are the happy ones and aren't skint!

The husband of my wifes friend bought the lease of a pub in a few years ago.

It was sruggling at the time but he turned it around, got rid of all the losers, improved the food, made it more attractive to families etc...

I went a few times and it was a great pub.

He worked crazy hours, had to deal with drunks, unreliable staff, suppliers, the Brewery etc...

Still ended up nearly bankrupting him and ending his marriage!

He had to give it up last year when the pressure of taking £6,000 per week just to break even got too much.

Good luck :-)

I think the Oliver Twist in Notton is for sale from one of the pub Cos.

It used to be a great family freehouse.

I think its in the region of half a million though - but it is a very big pub and restaurant. I believe it sold for double that 5 years or so ago but the pubco bled it dry. I suspect they were trying to run it down so they could knock it down and build flats but I think they didn't manage the planning permission!

Although I agree with all the negative comments on here...

I have run the same Enterprise pub for the last 11 years. Yes the wages are crap, but, although 8k is the most I've earned in a year I don't have to pay rent on my flat above, I don't pay gas or electric, I rarely have to pay for my beer & I eat all my meals free from the pub kitchen.

All I can say to you is - Do a full & detailed set of profit & loss accounts for the pub you're looking at. Over-estimate by 5-10% on all expences & come up with a MINIMUM turn-over required. If that trade isn't being acheived on a weekly basis Don't take it.

Ps. I have a good & open area manager, they're not all like that.

PM me if I can help you any further.

Regards,

BB.

Not a bad post on this thread so far, all interesting accounts of experience.

The best years are gone no doubt, the person running the pub is what makes it generally so a good person at the helm can be successful.

One idea worth looking at, get loads of experience and try relief work. That way you run pubs that are between landlords/ladies but with no risk. If you come across a good one take it on??

Really appreciate all the advice people :)

Whatever pub you go far, ask to see a report of previous sales, by that I dont mean purchase receipts, but bruline reports of whats actually passed through the pumps.